replacing sliders on a 90 Chev 1/2 ton

Old June 1st 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

Default replacing sliders on a 90 Chev 1/2 ton

Can anyone tell me if you can replace the sliding back window portions
on a 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton? They got busted recently, and the quote for a
new window installed is $500 and up.

I was told by one place that they could do it if I brought them the
windows, so I went to the junk yard and got them out of another truck.

They then told me that they can't do it short of cutting the frame apart
and tig welding it back together, and that'll be about $300.

Grr.

So, can you or can you not replace the sliding windows if you remove the
whole assembly from the truck, or is this considered not practical?

We pretty much mangled the frame on the truck at the junkyard getting
the sliders out, so I'm inclined to believe them, but it's just a royal
pain driving all over the countryside when I could have just had a glass
place nearby replace the damn things in the first place if it was going
to be the same price.

Ray
Old June 1st 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or what
use would door locks be?

I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas or
Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were made
in 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece half way
up, one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on the outside
of one window and the strip on the inside of the other.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 1st 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

Mike Romain wrote:
> You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or what
> use would door locks be?
>
> I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas or
> Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were made in
> 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece half way up,
> one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on the outside of
> one window and the strip on the inside of the other.
>
> Mike

I'm not quite sure if I understand you on this.

I understand the fact you have to take the frame off the truck in order
to remove the sliders and can't just lift them out... but I was given
the impression that once the shop took the whole window out that the
sliders were then replaceable.

What sucks is I couldn't find a complete window at the wreckers. I
would have just removed the whole thing - I don't really like the
sliding window anyway.

Ray
Old June 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Jun 1, 1:25 pm, Ray > wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
> > You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or what
> > use would door locks be?

> > I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas or
> > Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were made in
> > 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece half way up,
> > one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on the outside of
> > one window and the strip on the inside of the other.

> > Mike

> I'm not quite sure if I understand you on this.
>
> I understand the fact you have to take the frame off the truck in order
> to remove the sliders and can't just lift them out... but I was given
> the impression that once the shop took the whole window out that the
> sliders were then replaceable.
>
> What sucks is I couldn't find a complete window at the wreckers. I
> would have just removed the whole thing - I don't really like the
> sliding window anyway.
>
> Ray

You could just get a non-sliding window and gasket from the junkyard,
it takes about half an hour to install (but will require two people.)

nate

Old June 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Jun 1, 1:25 pm, Ray > wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
> > You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or what
> > use would door locks be?

> > I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas or
> > Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were made in
> > 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece half way up,
> > one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on the outside of
> > one window and the strip on the inside of the other.

> > Mike

> I'm not quite sure if I understand you on this.
>
> I understand the fact you have to take the frame off the truck in order
> to remove the sliders and can't just lift them out... but I was given
> the impression that once the shop took the whole window out that the
> sliders were then replaceable.
>
> What sucks is I couldn't find a complete window at the wreckers. I
> would have just removed the whole thing - I don't really like the
> sliding window anyway.
>
> Ray

Another thought, can you get an aftermarket sliding window assembly?

nate

Old June 1st 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Ray wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>> You have to figure that they don't want the windows to come out or
>> what use would door locks be?
>>
>> I haven't seen anyone have success with glass but have seen Plexiglas
>> or Lexan of the same thickness as the glass used. The windows were
>> made in 3 pieces and fused together in place with glue. One piece
>> half way up, one piece half way down and a strip across the joint on
>> the outside of one window and the strip on the inside of the other.
>>
>> Mike

> I'm not quite sure if I understand you on this.
>
> I understand the fact you have to take the frame off the truck in order
> to remove the sliders and can't just lift them out... but I was given
> the impression that once the shop took the whole window out that the
> sliders were then replaceable.
>
> What sucks is I couldn't find a complete window at the wreckers. I
> would have just removed the whole thing - I don't really like the
> sliding window anyway.
>
> Ray

I don't know what happens with the window on the bench. I was under the
impression the frame was solid and would have to be cut and welded, but
could be incorrect there.

I don't think the maker 'wanted' the sliders to be replaceable when they
can sell you the whole thing....

The Lexan sheet was just cut to fit the opening, then sliced in half to
fit in one half at a time, then glued back together with a reinforcing
strip basically.

Mike
Old June 1st 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

N8N wrote:

> You could just get a non-sliding window and gasket from the junkyard,
> it takes about half an hour to install (but will require two people.)
>
> nate

if I could find one.
all I found last time was busted ones.
you'd think finding one from an 88-97 chev wouldn't be that hard to
find... but these trucks get picked over pretty quick.

Ray
Old June 1st 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_5_]

Mike Romain wrote:

> The Lexan sheet was just cut to fit the opening, then sliced in half to
> fit in one half at a time, then glued back together with a reinforcing
> strip basically.
>
> Mike

The truck had a plexiglass window for two years when my father-in-law
owned it and they busted it loading wood.

I already suggested that to the wife. She thinks the truck is redneck
enough...

Ray

195x Chev Cpe Mod sVl Peter C Auto Photos 0 May 17th 07 06:14 AM
96 Chev 4x4 5.7L starter The Shirker Technology 2 April 7th 07 04:01 AM
4.3 chev. 91 [email protected] Technology 2 June 25th 06 02:25 PM
need help with 88 chev 5.7 88chevy 4x4 2 February 5th 06 09:41 PM
Convert 54 Chev to 4WD Taco 4x4 0 September 10th 04 03:06 AM