engine stalls on hard braking

Old September 5th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rollingthunder6

Default engine stalls on hard braking

this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
advice would be greatly appreciated .....
tia.

Old September 6th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

rollingthunder6 wrote:
> this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
> recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> tia.

have you had the ignition switch recalled?
Old September 6th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

rollingthunder6 wrote:

> this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
> recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> tia.

----------------------------------

Are you sure your CHECK ENGINE light is functioning, and are there any
CODES stored?

'Curly'
Old September 7th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rollingthunder6

jim beam wrote:
> rollingthunder6 wrote:
> > this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
> > recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> > 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> > engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> > do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> > is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> > normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> > any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> > advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> > tia.
> >

> have you had the ignition switch recalled?

no, haven't had any recall on the ignition switch

Old September 7th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rollingthunder6

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> rollingthunder6 wrote:
> >
> > this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
> > recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
> > 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
> > engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
> > do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
> > is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
> > normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
> > any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
> > advice would be greatly appreciated .....
> > tia.

> ----------------------------------
>
> Are you sure your CHECK ENGINE light is functioning, and are there any
> CODES stored?
>
> 'Curly'

'check engine' light comes on fine when you go to start the engine and
then it goes out (normal operation). no codes are stored. 'check
engine' light does not come as part of this problem except after the
engine has stalled (and the other lights are on as well)

Old September 8th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

rollingthunder6 wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> rollingthunder6 wrote:
>>> this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
>>> recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
>>> 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
>>> engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
>>> do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
>>> is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
>>> normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
>>> any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
>>> advice would be greatly appreciated .....
>>> tia.
>>>

>> have you had the ignition switch recalled?

> no, haven't had any recall on the ignition switch

ok. there was a recall. if your ignition is defective, hard braking
could be moving your key bunch about and upsetting an about-to-fail
switch. go to the dealer and get the free recalled switch fitted - the
problem should go away.
Old September 8th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On 7 Sep 2006 06:21:37 -0700, "rollingthunder6" >
wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> rollingthunder6 wrote:
>> > this pertains to a 1998 honda civic LX, at, ac, 163000 miles:
>> > recently during the last few months whenever i'm travelling at between
>> > 20 and 40 mph and i've had to brake very suddenly and very hard, the
>> > engine stalls as soon as the car comes to complete stop. never used to
>> > do that before. engine starts up w/o any difficulty afterwards. a/c
>> > is NOT on when this happens. engine does NOT do this when i brake
>> > normally, i.e., non-panic stop.
>> > any ideas on what's causing this and what components to check? any
>> > advice would be greatly appreciated .....
>> > tia.
>> >

>> have you had the ignition switch recalled?

>no, haven't had any recall on the ignition switch

This could be a problem with the brake power booster having an air
leak. Does the engine stall if you apply the brakes hard while
stationary?

Old September 8th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rollingthunder6

jim beam wrote:
> rollingthunder6 wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:
> >>>
> >> have you had the ignition switch recalled?

> > no, haven't had any recall on the ignition switch
> >

> ok. there was a recall. if your ignition is defective, hard braking
> could be moving your key bunch about and upsetting an about-to-fail
> switch. go to the dealer and get the free recalled switch fitted - the
> problem should go away.

ok! thanks. i'll check out the other items on this thread as well,
just on g.p., and take myself down to the dealer. thanks.

Old September 8th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rollingthunder6

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2006 06:21:37 -0700, "rollingthunder6" >
> wrote:
>

> >jim beam wrote:
> >> >
> >> have you had the ignition switch recalled?

> >no, haven't had any recall on the ignition switch

> This could be a problem with the brake power booster having an air
> leak. Does the engine stall if you apply the brakes hard while
> stationary?

i'll check it out his weekend. thanks.

Old September 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

rollingthunder6 wrote:

> 'check engine' light comes on fine when you go to start the engine and
> then it goes out (normal operation). no codes are stored. 'check
> engine' light does not come as part of this problem except after the
> engine has stalled (and the other lights are on as well)

Wonder if your dashpot, or throttle control is functioning right...
Normally, the throttle is held open a bit for say appx 3 seconds or
so before it goes to idle. The purpose is to prevent stalling on hard
stops due to the throttle cutting off too quick. You should be able to
get an idea if it's working by goosing the throttle up to 3k or so, and

quickly releasing. It should take about 3 seconds or so to totally cut
back to idle. If it cuts back almost instantly, I'd check the
idle/dashpot
controls. Just thought I'd mention this being as no one has yet..
MK