Why rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

Old March 8th 04, 04:42 AM
Fishman

Default Why rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

Just a thought, why "rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids" and not just
"rec.aquaria.cichlids"

Or are there some marine cichlids I'm not aware of ?

Old March 8th 04, 02:54 PM
Cichlidiot

Fishman wrote:
Just a thought, why "rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids" and not just
"rec.aquaria.cichlids"

Or are there some marine cichlids I'm not aware of ?

Having been around when the rec.aquaria hierarchy was all created, I seem
to remember the reason was to preserve the hierarchy. By this I mean that
the hierarchy that was decided on is as follows:

rec.aquaria
freshwater
cichlids
goldfish
misc
plants
marine
reefs
misc
marketplace
misc
tech

Since cichlids are a freshwater topic, the group goes under the freshwater
subtopic. It would not go under the rec.aquaria root because it is
freshwater related (note that both marketplace and tech can have topics
relating to both freshwater and marine tanks).

The following link to the CFV for the rec.aquaria reorganization might
shed some more light on the whole reorganization process that happened
back then:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

And here are the results of the CFV if you're really interested:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain
Old March 8th 04, 05:20 PM
Mark Stone

"Fishman" wrote in message ...
Just a thought, why "rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids" and not just
"rec.aquaria.cichlids"

Or are there some marine cichlids I'm not aware of ?

If memory serves, RAFC came about because of an expansion of
rec.aquaria.freshwater and/or rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc into several
groups in the early 1990s. You can probably find the true history
documented with the FAQs at http://faq.thekrib.com. Once a newsgroup
is up and running in either the rec or alt heirarchies, it is
virtually impossible to change their names or delete them, since each
and every server carries it's own independent list of newsgroups. The
FAQs have discouraged the use of the group rec.aquaria for ten years
now (because of the split into more specialized groups), but it still
lives on -- there's 18 threads active there in the last month!

Interestingly enough, Oscars, when first catalogued by Baron de Cuvier
in 1831, were identified as a marine species because he first saw them
in the Atlantic some distance from the mouth of the Amazon River.

--Mark