Ignition and electrical problems

Old April 15th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Ignition and electrical problems

Hi
I have a 96 bmw 316 which has been giving me grief for a few weeks now
When i go to turn ignition i just get this clicking noise with the odd
wurr for about a minute, all the lights on the clock face start going
crazy, flashing on and off, first with time, then random temperature, then
random mpg, then random time, etc etc, you get the picture, this is all
before the car actually starts, i call it the warm up mode, after approx a
minute (but it is getting longer) the car will actually turn over and
start, it is ok for the rest of the day until left a reasonable amount of
time turned off, then i have to start my warm up again. When the car is
running fine i've noticed that the mileage counter is not lit up and some
other lights (gauges) seem to be unlit or missing.
I have looked for loose wiring but found nothing, I am thinking that fuses
may have gone but recently opened the fuse box to find tens of fuses and
quickly closed it again, could i be getting a short circuit somehow, any
clues much appreciated, cheers
Tel