How fast do the lights go out?

Old March 15th 05, 02:16 AM
JimV

Default How fast do the lights go out?

pete wrote:
> I had my 1998 535i serviced at 114888 miles. It is now just over
> 118000 miles and one bar of the service panel is now out and I only
> have 3 greens showing. How many miles will it be before they all go
> out please?
> pete

It's not based on miles. It's based on engine load (injector timing,
rpm, hours). So it all depends on how you use it.

Old March 15th 05, 11:44 AM
John Carrier

"JimV" > wrote in message
> pete wrote:
>> I had my 1998 535i serviced at 114888 miles. It is now just over
>> 118000 miles and one bar of the service panel is now out and I only
>> have 3 greens showing. How many miles will it be before they all go
>> out please?
>> pete

> It's not based on miles. It's based on engine load (injector timing, rpm,
> hours). So it all depends on how you use it.

I think all the E39's use the current system: Fuel use only.

R / John

Old March 15th 05, 02:14 PM
Daniel Arrepas

"John Carrier" > wrote in message
news
> I think all the E39's use the current system: Fuel use only.

Boy, you'd think in a car with more computing power than the Lunar Landing
Module they might be able to base service intervals on more than liters of
fuel used. And just to expand a bit on the computer-love of German industry:
Adidas has developed a running shoe that sports a slip of a computer in it,
which constantly, or 1,000 times per second, adjusts the amount of
cushioning in the flat sole. It's called Adidas 1, and will cost $ 250.00
US......service intervals are not yet specified.

Old March 15th 05, 02:44 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
pete > wrote:
> I have recently been handling it much more carefully so hopefully it
> will go a while as yet before it needs another service.

My shortest was about 7000, my longest about 11,000. But I do a fair
amount of city motoring.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 15th 05, 09:10 PM
John Carrier

"Daniel Arrepas" > wrote in message

> "John Carrier" > wrote in message
> news >
>> I think all the E39's use the current system: Fuel use only.

> Boy, you'd think in a car with more computing power than the Lunar Landing
> Module they might be able to base service intervals on more than liters of
> fuel used. And just to expand a bit on the computer-love of German
> industry:
> Adidas has developed a running shoe that sports a slip of a computer in
> it,
> which constantly, or 1,000 times per second, adjusts the amount of
> cushioning in the flat sole. It's called Adidas 1, and will cost $ 250.00
> US......service intervals are not yet specified.

I think they discovered that fuel burn was as reliable as any fiddling about
with other variables. Numerous cold starts and short trips adversely
effects mileage as does stop and go driving. And these are the very things
that encourage a more frequent service interval. One area unaddressed is
the external conditions, dusty conditions etc.

R / John

Old March 16th 05, 12:24 AM
Daniel Arrepas

"John Carrier" > wrote in message

> "Daniel Arrepas" > wrote in message
>>
>> "John Carrier" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>> I think all the E39's use the current system: Fuel use only.

>> Boy, you'd think in a car with more computing power than the Lunar
>> Landing
>> Module they might be able to base service intervals on more than liters
>> of
>> fuel used. And just to expand a bit on the computer-love of German
>> industry:
>> Adidas has developed a running shoe that sports a slip of a computer in
>> it,
>> which constantly, or 1,000 times per second, adjusts the amount of
>> cushioning in the flat sole. It's called Adidas 1, and will cost $ 250.00
>> US......service intervals are not yet specified.

> I think they discovered that fuel burn was as reliable as any fiddling
> about with other variables.

Except that just doesn't sound like the technology crazed Germans :^)