New 156 - poor gearchange.

Old July 6th 04, 09:35 AM
Martin

Default New 156 - poor gearchange.

Hi,

I have a new (2004, 175BHP) 156 2.4 JTD SW (6 speed). The gearchange seems
particularly bad - I'm sure the one I test drove was OK.

Basically, it is very "notchy", not fluid at all. It "seems" to be worse
when cold (less than 10 miles), and when the weather is cooler.

Every gear appears to snatch (even with the clutch pedal up against the
bulkead!), first to second is particularly bad, usually accompanied by a
thunk / graunch. If I rev over about 4000rpm before changing, the change is
better, similarly if I give the throttle a blip between gears it's a bit
smoother (I'm not quite up to double declutching, and I shouldn't have to on
a new car).

Sometimes (rarely), it seems to be OK - almost as though something has lined
up, that has previously been out of line, but this usually dissapears, and
the poor gearchange returns after I next start the car.

I was kind of hoping this problem would have resolved after running in the
car, but it doesn't seem to be any better after 1000 miles.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Does the clutch need "adjusting"
(may be it's not fully disengaging, or perhaps they forgot to fit the
synchromesh in the factory...lol.

Anyway, could do with some feedback before I approach my dealer.

Many thanks,

Martin.

Old July 6th 04, 11:15 AM
PyroJames

Martin > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a new (2004, 175BHP) 156 2.4 JTD SW (6 speed). The gearchange

seems
> particularly bad - I'm sure the one I test drove was OK.

I didn't notice any problems like that with the one I test drove a month or
so ago. Sounds wrong to me.

--
PyroJames
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Old July 6th 04, 04:09 PM
Antti

"Martin" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a new (2004, 175BHP) 156 2.4 JTD SW (6 speed). The gearchange

seems
> particularly bad - I'm sure the one I test drove was OK.
>
> Basically, it is very "notchy", not fluid at all. It "seems" to be worse
> when cold (less than 10 miles), and when the weather is cooler.

is it ok when warm? many 156 has this kind of gearchange with cold oils in
gearbox especially
1st and 2nd gear.

Antti
156V6

Old July 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Tony Rickard

"Martin" wrote:

> Every gear appears to snatch (even with the clutch pedal up against the
> bulkead!), first to second is particularly bad, usually accompanied by a
> thunk / graunch. If I rev over about 4000rpm before changing, the change
> is better, similarly if I give the throttle a blip between gears it's a
> bit smoother (I'm not quite up to double declutching, and I shouldn't have
> to on a new car).

It sounds to me like the clutch isn't adjusted properly and fully operating
under full travel of the pedal. If matching the engine revs helps and
putting the car into gear at rest. It could be a simple adjustment but then
again I am no mechanic!

Old July 6th 04, 11:23 PM
Alfistagj

No feed back needed.
Go straight back to the dealer!
When cold every gearbox changes gears slightly less smooth, but that doesn't
sound like this case.
And running mostly applies to the engines performance. In theory the gears
need running in as well, but like the engine real run in will take at least
10.000km.
My Alfa's always start ginving 100% performance after 30-40000km

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Martin" > schreef in bericht