Cleaning the rear window

Old January 8th 05, 09:02 AM
Nielsen

Default Cleaning the rear window

Hi all,
This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
the plastic rear window.
The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
there someone out there with the magic answer ??

Thanks
/Rene

Old January 8th 05, 04:41 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Nielsen > wrote:

> This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
> purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
> the plastic rear window.
> The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
> there someone out there with the magic answer ??

I use Meguiar's #10 and #17. Novus and Zymol also make good cleaners. Be
prepared to spend an hour or so rubbing the window at an uncomfortable
angle. I wouldn't work on the window in weather under 60?F.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old January 9th 05, 01:12 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Nielsen > wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is propably a question ask many times before.... I am about to
>purchase a Miate from 97, and I noticed a yellow/orange'ish layer on
>the plastic rear window.
>The current owner says he have tried everything to remove it, but are
>there someone out there with the magic answer ??

Yes, when you buy it, you will need to replace the window soon.
Its chemical structure is breaking down due to age and sunlight
exposure, and that is an exponential process.

You may want to take that into account in your offer.

Dealer installed new tops (window alone is typically not worth
doing) are expensive. Aftermarket tops are much more reasonable,
And the installation is a bitch, but *can* be done by reasonably
handy and *careful* people in a day or so. (See miata.net for
details.)

A Miata dealer in Germany is ilmotorsports.de I do not know how
they are on soft top prices.

Leon

>Thanks
>/Rene