2002 Passat Tiptronic not working.

Old May 25th 05, 04:42 PM

Default 2002 Passat Tiptronic not working.

I have googled for days and haven't found one underlying problem with
the Tiptronic not working all of a sudden.

I've heard Mass Air Flow Sensor, Brake Light Fuse, Battery Reset,
Solenoid -D- (Bentley).

Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed easily and cheap. It
scares me to take it to the dealer. I've heard it could cost up to 500
clams.

Thanks,
TC

Old May 25th 05, 10:27 PM
Woodchuck

Google not going to fix your car! It maybe under warranty if it's under
60,000miles. If your issue is when you push the shifter over to the "tip"
area and not happens then most lily it the circuitry under the console.

oups.com...

Old May 25th 05, 10:28 PM

You probably need the tiptronic magnet/slide kit... not sure of the
cost, but they fail fairly regularly. Especially if something sticky
has been spilled into it...

Old May 26th 05, 01:06 PM

Yeah, I've heard that. I just want some basic idea of what to expect.
Too many times in the past I have spent money on something because I
was *told* that was the problem . Later, I find out nothing was
resolved.

One time I was *told* that I needed my injectors cleaned when my Mazda
engine had a poor idle. (Over 200 bucks). Never fixed the problem.
Later I found out that my alternator had a bad diode. I hate taking a
mechanic's word for it.

I've been in touch with the VW tech in Charlotte through email and I
would like to respond with some ideas. I don't want them ripping my
entire tranny apart for a simple solution.

Thanks for your response, by the way. I do appreciate it.

Old May 26th 05, 01:17 PM

I know. I'm not expecting that. I like to be filled with as much info
as possible so I won't be ripped a new one when I take it to the
service center. My car is out of warranty and our only certified
center is in Charlotte - out of town. I don't want it sitting
there for days while they rip it apart and my wallet as well. I just
want to suggest a couple of things to them first. Thanks for you
insight as well.

Old May 27th 05, 12:35 AM
Rob Guenther

Sounds like a connection failure to me. Does upshift work and not downshift
or vice versa, or is the whole tiptronic zone of the gear selector pattern?

I would guess the interconnect between the gear selector switch and the
tiptronic area has failed?

I don't "get" tiptronic - it's still an automatic, and slidding the gear
lever into 3rd or 2nd for reasons such as towing, or going down hills in bad
weather is just as easy as over-down-down-down etc... There's always an
annoying delay when shifting too... My kickdown is much, much faster
(4-speed auto, 99.5 Golf TDI)... The only car I found tiptronic decent to
use was in a Smart Car... But it's a roboticized manual transmission
(automatic clutch) - similar, but less advanced style similar to VW's new
DSG.
oups.com...

Old May 27th 05, 01:27 AM
Woodchuck

Sometimes I forget how many poor VW dealers there are. My moneys on the
magnetic strip in the console. If so figure 2 hours tops for labor.

oups.com...

Old May 27th 05, 04:47 AM
PB

I totally understand where you're coming from... but as a certified VW tech,
there's a 99% chance of this being the problem with your TipTronic - the
magnets come loose from their holders inside the shift mechanism. You can
buy the parts individually, sometimes as a complete kit.

oups.com...

Old May 27th 05, 12:29 PM

I have recently received an email from the tech. in Charlotte on this.
She is looking into it - being the magnet that is. Hopefully, that is
what is wrong with it.

Let me ask you all this:
Does anyone have a repair manual for a 2002 or newer Passat. Bentley
makes a manual that costs over 100 dollars.
I have one for my 626 and it has saved me a few times over. I love
doing what I can by myself. Heck, I replaced the entire shift
mechanism in the 626. It wasn't easy - a lot of busted knuckles and
swearing. But I did it and proud of it.

Thanks everyone.
Todd