90-96 CONVERTABLE TOP HARDWARE

Old March 1st 05, 05:14 PM
Ben Franklin E. Franklin

Default 90-96 CONVERTABLE TOP HARDWARE

I BOUGHT A CONVERTABLE HARD TOP.

I need some instruction to find out about how does the rear laches down
with no rattels. The rivits on the top are ok its just the laches I am
in the blind no dealer ships have a print out not even bowlingreen! I
need help help please I will buy the part if needed. Once again I am in
the blind.

Ben

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old March 1st 05, 07:11 PM
Dad

You sure are in a problem, GM don't make a hard top for the C4 convertible.
You will need to ask the manufacturer for some help. That said you now need
to find out who made it.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 1st 05, 09:21 PM
RicSeyler

I was going to buy a hardtop for my '94 but the top didn't have
any "points" on the rear. I called GM and they told me the same
thing. "We don't make "points" for a Hardtop. So I passed on the top.
That was several years ago.

There is a company that makes the tops, he might need to google
for C4 Hardtops, and see if he can track down the company and
see if they sell a kit, or sumpin.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old March 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
Unquestionably Confused

on 3/1/2005 12:11 PM Dad said the following:
> You sure are in a problem, GM don't make a hard top for the C4 convertible.
> You will need to ask the manufacturer for some help. That said you now need
> to find out who made it.

I'm not sure if I read the OP correctly but this response from Dad has
pegged my Bull**** Meter all the way over to the high end of the scale.

My '94 Vette is presently covered - as it usually is from late October
until April or so - with a hardtop. Wasn't always so but I found one,
bought it, had it painted since the maroon top looked somewhat strange
on my Polo Green convertible<g>

The seller was missing most of the mounting hardware for the top. He
only had the two metal pieces for each side.

I went to the local Chevy dealership and they had the diagram for in
their computer. Ordered up the bolts for the channel steel structural
mounts as well as the little assemblies to snug down the rear of the
hardtop.

I assume that the OP was talking about the two little "tits" that go
into those bezels with the ~3/8" hole on either side of the deck lid?

Chevy has them in the system. Suggest you go back to a Chevy dealership
that sells some Corvettes or tell the parts guy to pull his head out of
his... and actually look in the computer.

FWIW, I bought one of everything on the parts diagram in the way of
fasteners and spent about $40 total and the items arrived by overnight
express so I was able to drive down to Louisville, KY and pick the top
up with my 'Vette. Got some really interesting looks on the Interstate
as I drove back with that top mounted. The car kinda looked like a
Christmas Tree ornament.

The top, BTW, is made by a 3rd party according to my research. Outfit
out of Indiana - I THINK. Google it a bit and you can learn more.

Bottom line, Bow Tie's got the parts - at least they did three years
ago. Might have them look back towards 91-92. The top may not have
been offered in 94 - not sure, but the earlier ones for the C4 fit just
fine.
Old March 2nd 05, 07:45 PM
Dad

Actually your BS meter is full up to it's eyebrows. Now that the insults are
traded for what reason I don't know lets get to the facts. The after market
builders do no have to build to use GM parts. GM dealers don't have to
support after market tops. If there are GM parts used the dealer doesn't
have to know that. My response remains as stated, your suggestion to search
out the builder is right on. If the dealers he has to deal with are inclined
to work with him he may still get the parts he needs from them if that's
what the builder used. Maybe GM had your parts but how do you know they have
parts to his top without knowing the builder? Did you happen to notice the
country the post came from? Do you think that the top may have been built in
that country? Unplug the BS meter and start using your head.

If your flexible flyer is covered up in storage why did you need to repaint
the top, nobody can see it?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

"Unquestionably Confused" > wrote in message
. com...
> on 3/1/2005 12:11 PM Dad said the following:
>> You sure are in a problem, GM don't make a hard top for the C4
>> convertible.
>> You will need to ask the manufacturer for some help. That said you now
>> need
>> to find out who made it.

> I'm not sure if I read the OP correctly but this response from Dad has
> pegged my Bull**** Meter all the way over to the high end of the scale.
>
> My '94 Vette is presently covered - as it usually is from late October
> until April or so - with a hardtop. Wasn't always so but I found one,
> bought it, had it painted since the maroon top looked somewhat strange on
> my Polo Green convertible<g>

Snipped more BS

Old March 2nd 05, 10:37 PM
RicSeyler

LOL
The parts counter looked at me dumbfounded also Dad.....

--
Ric Seyler

Old March 2nd 05, 10:39 PM
RicSeyler

The parts counter told me there was no such animal also Dad.........

--
Ric Seyler

Old March 2nd 05, 11:11 PM
Dad

They did offer the top from 89 to 96 but I was never sure who built it or if
it did in fact have GM parts but assume it did. Don't know what Smoothline
and the others used.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

. ..

Old March 2nd 05, 11:31 PM
RicSeyler

Might be such a thing that they subbed out the manufacture of the top
and hardware,
or provided base hardware "the locking points" and the sub fabricated
the mounts, and are not serviced with a GM number. Dunno......

--
Ric Seyler

E46 Convertable Jay BMW 0 January 17th 05 03:08 PM
1997 Mustang Convertable problems jushil Ford Mustang 1 December 16th 04 01:44 AM
1997 Mustang Convertable problems jushil Ford Mustang 28 December 14th 04 02:16 PM
sub in convertable question Todd Ski Ford Mustang 0 December 3rd 04 03:49 AM
help my buddy ID his convertable back glass? dave VW air cooled 1 November 16th 04 03:31 AM