BG vs Techron

Old August 29th 04, 04:12 AM
marx404

Default BG vs Techron

We have a dirty little '03 SL1. ONe mechanic says use BG fuel injection
cleaner ($30. a can at Saturn), another says use Chevron Techron (Auto Parts
Store $3.00). The second one says that Techron is better and cheaper (I
agree cheaper).

Which is better or are they the same? From my experience, BG is overrated.
Thanx.

--
marx404

Old August 29th 04, 04:00 PM
Oppie

For what it's worth, I added a $3 can of Gumout (gray bottle) to the last
tank of gas. Half way through the tank, the SES lamp went on and gave a
P0455 code (large leak in EVAP system). Is there a connection, probably not
but still worth mentioning.

The engine DOES run better now. There had been a little mid range hesitation
which is now gone. I cleaned out the EVAP vent solenoid which might have
been sticking. Not going to get serious though about further testing 'till
this tank is empty. One variable is bad enough.

Oppie -'01 lw300

_________________

Old August 29th 04, 05:21 PM
BANDIT2941

>We have a dirty little '03 SL1. ONe mechanic says use BG fuel injection
>cleaner ($30. a can at Saturn), another says use Chevron Techron (Auto Parts
>Store $3.00). The second one says that Techron is better and cheaper (I
>agree cheaper).
>
>Which is better or are they the same? From my experience, BG is overrated.
>Thanx.

What happened to you working at a Saturn dealer?
Old August 29th 04, 07:16 PM
marx404

Wow, are we getting sidetracked <jk>.

Yep, I still do work for Saturn, but I also own 2 Saturns and will always
also be a customer too. I like to save $$ and like my cars to run right,
just like everyone else :-)

So, to bring us back full swing to the post in question:

BG fuel injection cleaner from Saturn - $30.
Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner - $3.

Two different Saturn techs say the other is better. Which IS better?

Thanx,
marx404

Old August 30th 04, 11:41 AM
marx404

Thanx Blah, but long story made short: Wifes 93 Sl1, not driven hard or
enough, dirty everything. Had everything cleaned out by Saturn, whole nine
yards. They did BG treatment on entire fuel system, car ran better far a day
or so, then started acting like it will shut off in idle, no codes at all.
Dirty fuel in tank seems to be a culprit as everything else possible was
done.

After one BG fuel treatment can, one mech says put more BG until it is
cured, another says BG sux, use Techron to clean out the tank and lines.

Which is beter?

Old August 30th 04, 01:32 PM
C. E. White

marx404 wrote:

> Thanx Blah, but long story made short: Wifes 93 Sl1, not driven hard or
> enough, dirty everything. Had everything cleaned out by Saturn, whole nine
> yards. They did BG treatment on entire fuel system, car ran better far a day
> or so, then started acting like it will shut off in idle, no codes at all.
> Dirty fuel in tank seems to be a culprit as everything else possible was
> done.
>
> After one BG fuel treatment can, one mech says put more BG until it is
> cured, another says BG sux, use Techron to clean out the tank and lines.
>
> Which is beter?

Religious debates are like that. I'd go with the Techron.
However, it is not going to clean out the tanks and lines.
If your problem is water in the fuel, then Techron is not
going to help. One of the alcohol additives is all you need
to remove small amounts of water. If you have intake valve
or fuel injection depositis, my money is on the Techron. I
have seen it work wonders on a Buick with intake valve
deposits. BG advertises more in relation to the size of the
company (at least on Sirius radio), so maybe they need to
charge more to cover the ads.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...ch%5Fcon.shtml
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl...ntent/faq.shtm
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...gas/tech.shtml
http://www.chevron.com/oronite/produ...s/gasoline.asp

http://www.bgprod.com/bgconsumer/bgservices/44k.html

If you notice Chevron spends a lot of ad copy explaining how
their product works and who uses it. BG spends a lot of time
telling you how much better your car will run without really
explaining why.

Regards,

Ed White
Old August 30th 04, 01:49 PM
Oppie

My feeling is that if one can made only a temporary improvement, a second
can will do likewise...
Have you checked the fuel pressure and delivery? Possibly changed the fuel
filter?
I'm pretty sure that a fuel pressure problem will not throw a code but make
everything else run poorly. As White had written, also address the
possibility of water in the tank. Water will plug the fuel filter membrane
and result in a pump that is straining and low pressure to the engine. I
pull the filter and try to blow through it. Even a dirty filter will get
some air through but a waterlogged filter will get no airflow at all. If
this is the case, leave the filter out and get the fuel pump to pump out as
much fuel as possible (pull connector and jump lines to chassis and battery.
Make connections away from fuel) into a container until as much water is
out. Remove remaining water with 'gas line antifreeze' preferably the
isopropyl type.
Hope this helps - Oppie

Old August 30th 04, 03:24 PM
Jerry

Seems like TB cleaning is due...

Old August 31st 04, 02:37 AM
marx404

TB cleaning done, new fuel filter, lots of crud in old fuel filter, so mech
thinks lots of crud in tank as well makes sense. The prob originated from
wife not driving car hard enough, now stalling when stopped in drive or
reverse, bucks when accelerating. Three mechanics looked at it, all keep
saying keep putting fuel cleaner in (either BG or Techron).

marx404