driver side gas cap

Old November 14th 05, 12:07 AM
Roy

Default driver side gas cap

Try not to take too much offence but if he can't walk around the car he
shouldn't be driving. You are supposed to take an occasional walk around the
car to visually check things like tire pressure and lights. I say this as
much for his safety as others.

As for running out of gas in the left lane, If you are getting on a
multi-lane divided highway without enough gas to get to where you are going,
or at least to get to an exit with gas station, then you should also not be
driving. This isn't just dangerous for you when you are putting in your
"emergency gas" but any car I've ever driven loses the power steering when
the engine is shut off, not to mention the power brakes loose their boost
also.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I just got back from a drive where an old guy
pulled out of a gas station parking lot in front of me (I was doing the
posted limit of 80kph) I had to lock up the brakes and skid to the side so I
wouldn't hit him. The best part is the cop sitting in the parking lot
watching for speeders didn't even flinch.

nk.net...

Old November 14th 05, 03:09 AM
Art

"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Try not to take too much offence but if he can't walk around the car he
> shouldn't be driving. You are supposed to take an occasional walk around
> the car to visually check things like tire pressure and lights. I say this
> as much for his safety as others.

I don't take offence but he has a son to watch the oil level and tire
pressure, lights, etc. I also fill the car with gas occasionally for him so
he doesn't have to take the long trip. He uses a walker but still drives
fine.

> As for running out of gas in the left lane, If you are getting on a
> multi-lane divided highway without enough gas to get to where you are
> going, or at least to get to an exit with gas station, then you should
> also not be driving. This isn't just dangerous for you when you are
> putting in your "emergency gas" but any car I've ever driven loses the
> power steering when the engine is shut off, not to mention the power
> brakes loose their boost also.
>
> Sorry if I offended anyone but I just got back from a drive where an old
> guy pulled out of a gas station parking lot in front of me (I was doing
> the posted limit of 80kph) I had to lock up the brakes and skid to the
> side so I wouldn't hit him. The best part is the cop sitting in the
> parking lot watching for speeders didn't even flinch.

And I've seen similar moves by young and middle age drivers. Especially
those that cannot separate cigarettes or phones from their heads as they
drive.

Old November 14th 05, 06:16 AM
Roy

"Art" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> Try not to take too much offence but if he can't walk around the car he
>> shouldn't be driving. You are supposed to take an occasional walk around
>> the car to visually check things like tire pressure and lights. I say
>> this as much for his safety as others.

> I don't take offence but he has a son to watch the oil level and tire
> pressure, lights, etc. I also fill the car with gas occasionally for him
> so he doesn't have to take the long trip. He uses a walker but still
> drives fine.
>

>> As for running out of gas in the left lane, If you are getting on a
>> multi-lane divided highway without enough gas to get to where you are
>> going, or at least to get to an exit with gas station, then you should
>> also not be driving. This isn't just dangerous for you when you are
>> putting in your "emergency gas" but any car I've ever driven loses the
>> power steering when the engine is shut off, not to mention the power
>> brakes loose their boost also.
>>
>> Sorry if I offended anyone but I just got back from a drive where an old
>> guy pulled out of a gas station parking lot in front of me (I was doing
>> the posted limit of 80kph) I had to lock up the brakes and skid to the
>> side so I wouldn't hit him. The best part is the cop sitting in the
>> parking lot watching for speeders didn't even flinch.
>>

> And I've seen similar moves by young and middle age drivers. Especially
> those that cannot separate cigarettes or phones from their heads as they
> drive.

I agree there are bad drivers of all ages, this one today just happened to
be older. And the cop didn't seem to care.

Old November 14th 05, 03:11 PM
C. E. White

"fish" > wrote in message
> My '97 SL2 has the locking gas cap on the driver's side.
>
> I was at the showroom yesterday to see all models with the unlocked gas

cap
> on the passenger side.
>
> I asked the salesman and he told me that the reason is that if you pull of
> the road on the right, it is safer to add emergency fuel.
>
> But the problem is that if you're on the highway and in the left lane, you
> can pull off to the left shoulder and thus, if the gas cap is on the
> passenger side, you expose yourself to oncoming traffic.
>
> I hate the fact that all current and future models are based on that.
>
> I may have to choose another brand when I'm ready to shop for a new car.
>
> Saturn should have put the gas cap on the rear center, so you can fuel

from
> a neutral zone.

See http://tinyurl.com/dm43f for a previous Usenet discussion on the subject
of fuel filler loactions.

Ed

Old November 15th 05, 01:10 AM
fish

C. E. White sez...

> See http://tinyurl.com/dm43f for a previous Usenet
> discussion on the subject of fuel filler loactions.

That was very good reading.
Thank you!

--

FS: Jeep TJ Soft side Rear window and rear side windows and Door Rail Kit [email protected] Jeep 0 April 25th 05 09:39 PM
2002 Honda Odyssey Side View Mirror Switch Failure Hand Honda 15 December 4th 04 07:03 PM
146 Driver Side Window dean Alfa Romeo 1 December 4th 04 01:35 PM
Please Help. 2003 Accord side impact sensor troubleshooting eric68 Honda 1 October 20th 04 03:13 AM
How to remove driver side wing mirror campbed Alfa Romeo 1 September 15th 04 01:08 PM