Rekeying '92 Civic door lock

Old December 13th 04, 06:09 PM
Bob 4knee

Default Rekeying '92 Civic door lock

Hi,

Bought a '92 Civic which must have had the driver's door handle
replaced at some point. What's my cheapest option to make all the keys
match again:

I guess Honda can probably sell me a cylinder if I give them a key
number? Probably most pricey, if they go back that far?

If I take the cylinder into a lock smith, can a generic locksmith
re-key it or are there honda specific pins (or something)?

Any other options?

I'd rather not pull the cylinder and then shop around, so info from
somebody who's done this before would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob

Old December 13th 04, 11:20 PM
Richard

I once bought an old ('89) Mazda that must have had a new ignition put in at
some time. I had one key for the ignition, none for the doors.

I asked at a locksmith what it would take to get a key for the doors. He
said I could pull the panel off the door and find a number on the side of
the lock and he could make one from that.

Maybe if you have that number for the cylinder, Honda could provide you a
replacement?

I was once told (not reliably) that there are only x number of lock
variations manufactured. Maybe if you just went to all the junkyards in and
out of your town, you might find one where your key fits.

If you don't care, it might also be possible to swap the driver and
passenger side door locks.

Just some ideas.

Richard

ups.com...

Old December 14th 04, 03:47 AM
motsco_ _

Bob 4knee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bought a '92 Civic which must have had the driver's door handle
> replaced at some point. What's my cheapest option to make all the keys
> match again:
>
> I guess Honda can probably sell me a cylinder if I give them a key
> number? Probably most pricey, if they go back that far?
>
> If I take the cylinder into a lock smith, can a generic locksmith
> re-key it or are there honda specific pins (or something)?
>
> Any other options?
>

> I'd rather not pull the cylinder and then shop around, so info from
> somebody who's done this before would be appreciated,
>
> Thanks,
>

> Bob

----------------------

I had a car like that . . turned out the lock was just jammed full if
crud, and the locksmith described it as 'dead'. I hosed it out with some
kind of penetrating oil, and massaged the key around and the lock
'lived' again.

For starters, could you put the passenger's lock in it's place, _then_
start looking for the cure?

It doesn't have remote access, does it?

'Curly'

Old December 14th 04, 04:15 AM
jim beam

motsco_ _ wrote:
> Bob 4knee wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Bought a '92 Civic which must have had the driver's door handle
>> replaced at some point. What's my cheapest option to make all the keys
>> match again:
>>
>> I guess Honda can probably sell me a cylinder if I give them a key
>> number? Probably most pricey, if they go back that far?
>>
>> If I take the cylinder into a lock smith, can a generic locksmith
>> re-key it or are there honda specific pins (or something)?
>>
>> Any other options?
>>

>> I'd rather not pull the cylinder and then shop around, so info from
>> somebody who's done this before would be appreciated,
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Bob

> ----------------------
>
> I had a car like that . . turned out the lock was just jammed full if
> crud, and the locksmith described it as 'dead'. I hosed it out with some
> kind of penetrating oil, and massaged the key around and the lock
> 'lived' again.
>
> For starters, could you put the passenger's lock in it's place, _then_
> start looking for the cure?

can't do a straight swap with the passenger on the civic - there's a tab
on the cylinder that prevents insertion into the driver side. you can
grind it off, but it's a pita.

Old December 14th 04, 05:02 AM
Bob 4knee

Guess I wasn't clear. I've got keys (and the keys have numbers on
them) for both locks. Just wanted to make one key fit them all.
There's probably a Honda dealer in a town about an hour from here, but
figured I'd ask you guys before I pried off the door panel,
dis-assembled the locks, and took it to a dealer. From the responses
it sounds like I should just live with it. I was considering swapping
in the passenger side cylinder, thanks for the heads up on that not
being a simple swap also.

thanks,

Bob

Old December 14th 04, 05:14 AM
Randolph

Bob 4knee wrote:

> Guess I wasn't clear. I've got keys (and the keys have numbers on
> them) for both locks. Just wanted to make one key fit them all.
> There's probably a Honda dealer in a town about an hour from here, but
> figured I'd ask you guys before I pried off the door panel,
> dis-assembled the locks, and took it to a dealer. From the responses
> it sounds like I should just live with it. I was considering swapping
> in the passenger side cylinder, thanks for the heads up on that not
> being a simple swap also.
>
> thanks,

You could fire off an e-mail to sales at

(http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) and ask them if they can get you a
lock cylinder that matches your original key if you give them the
number.

EK1 Motor Swap into 83 Civic -Andrew Smit- Honda 0 January 13th 05 07:29 AM
Rekeying '92 Civic door lock Bob 4knee Honda 5 December 14th 04 05:14 AM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 05:38 PM
Larger gas tank on a '93 Civic vx [email protected] Honda 3 December 7th 04 08:48 AM
Replacing clutch on a 1997 Civic? Moorehead Johnson Honda 1 December 3rd 04 08:34 PM