Cleveland Question?

Old November 12th 04, 08:50 PM
Dean

Default Cleveland Question?

Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car, but
got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked the
casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold was
4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2 in
the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that someone
removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the 4 bolt
main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning on
placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess my
guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl heads
on a cleveland?

Thanks Dean.

Old November 12th 04, 10:55 PM
Dinsdale

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:50:23 -0500, "Dean" >
wrote:

>Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car, but
>got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked the
>casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold was
>4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2 in
>the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that someone
>removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the 4 bolt
>main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning on
>placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess my
>guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl heads
>on a cleveland?
>
> Thanks Dean.

That is how you tell the difference...that and the larger port sizes
on a 4v.

Here's a page with some casting numbers:
http://home.comcast.net/~jelerath/mu.../heads-fr.html

It's been my understanding that 2v heads have more low-end and the 4v
heads make their power high in the RPM range.

Old November 13th 04, 12:17 AM
trainfan1

Dinsdale wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:50:23 -0500, "Dean" >
> wrote:
>

>>Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car, but
>>got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked the
>>casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold was
>>4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2 in
>>the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that someone
>>removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the 4 bolt
>>main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning on
>>placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess my
>>guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl heads
>>on a cleveland?
>>
>> Thanks Dean.
>>

> That is how you tell the difference...that and the larger port sizes
> on a 4v.
>
> Here's a page with some casting numbers:
> http://home.comcast.net/~jelerath/mu.../heads-fr.html
>

> It's been my understanding that 2v heads have more low-end and the 4v
> heads make their power high in the RPM range.

Agree, the 4bbl heads are too big for the street, typically. Check your
references - the '73 Q code very well could have the 2bbl heads, which
are huge to begin with, leading into the "smog" motor era...

Rob

Old November 13th 04, 01:05 AM
Grover C. McCoury III

FYI: Cleveland 4V heads feature larger ports/valves than the Cleveland 2V
heads. The 70-71 Cleveland 4V heads also feature a closed or quench-type
combustion chamber - 2V heads feature an open combustion chamber. 2V heads
also feature non-adjustable rocker arms.

Cleveland 4V intake diameter 2.19", exhaust diameter 1.71"
Cleveland 2V intake diameter 2.04", exhaust diameter 1.65"

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featuring 4V
heads @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old November 13th 04, 02:15 AM
David M

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:50:23 -0500, Dean rearranged some electrons to
form:

> Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car, but
> got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked the
> casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold was
> 4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2
> in the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that
> someone removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the
> 4 bolt main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning
> on placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess
> my guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl
> heads on a cleveland?
>
> Thanks Dean.

According to Ganahl's book, 351Cs in 73 had open chamber (2V) heads.
However they may have varied, the 4V heads have open chambers with the
(larger) 4V valves and port sizes.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old November 13th 04, 03:14 AM
Dean

Thanks guys for all the info. I know all this,but still can't fiqure out if
the 73 Q code Cobra Jet had 2bbl heads. Dean.

Old November 13th 04, 04:32 AM
trainfan1

?

Old November 13th 04, 06:47 PM
nospam

Just a suggestion:
I'm currently building a 351C for my '72 mach 1 and I've decided to go with
the "Aussie" heads.
They're the best of both worlds, the fuel economy and low-end torque of the
2 bbl heads, but the compression of the 4bbl "Quench" or "closed chamber"
heads.
I have a feeling this motor's gonna scream!!!
(I found my "Aussie" heads on ebay at a pretty fair price).

Good luck!
-Dave

"Dean" > wrote in message
> Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car, but
> got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked the
> casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold was
> 4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2
> in the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that
> someone removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the
> 4 bolt main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning
> on placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess
> my guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl
> heads on a cleveland?
>
> Thanks Dean.

---

Old November 14th 04, 07:56 AM
351CJ

"trainfan1" > wrote in message
> Dinsdale wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:50:23 -0500, "Dean" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Found a Q code 73 Mach-1 in a salvage yard. Not much left of the car,

but
> >>got the engine and trans for $325. When I got the engine home checked

the
> >>casting number on the block D2AE-CA this checked out, Intake manifold

was
> >>4bbl spreadbore. All seemed good until I checked the Heads. They had a 2

in
> >>the corners, which means 2bbl heads. So you mean to tell me that someone
> >>removed the 4bbl heads and placed 2bbl heads back on, and left the 4

bolt
> >>main block and 4bbl intake. I guess this is possible. Was planning on
> >>placing this in my 71 coupe and taking out the original 302. I guess my
> >>guestion is, is this how you tell the difference between 2bbl and 4bbl

heads
> >>on a cleveland?
> >>
> >> Thanks Dean.
> >>

> > That is how you tell the difference...that and the larger port sizes
> > on a 4v.
> >
> > Here's a page with some casting numbers:
> > http://home.comcast.net/~jelerath/mu.../heads-fr.html
> >

> > It's been my understanding that 2v heads have more low-end and the 4v
> > heads make their power high in the RPM range.
> >

> Agree, the 4bbl heads are too big for the street, typically. Check your
> references - the '73 Q code very well could have the 2bbl heads, which
> are huge to begin with, leading into the "smog" motor era...
>
> Rob

Bull****!!!

The only people who make this totally absurd statement are those who have
NEVER DRIVEN a 351 Cleveland with 4 barrel heads!
If you ever get to drive one you will see how silly your statement really
is...

Old November 14th 04, 08:19 AM
351CJ

No!

The 4 barrel Cleveland engines all came with 4 barrel heads from the
factory. The 4 barrel heads have larger ports as well as valves, and the
came in either open chamber or closed (quench) chamber styles. I have some
of both types. All 4 barrel heads have the digit 4 cast on the top corners
just outside the valve covers. While All 2 barrel heads have the digit 2
cast on the top corners just outside the valve covers.

You CAN NOT determine weather the block is a four bolt main by the casting
number. You have to pull the oil pan and visually look at the main caps to
tell.
My 1971 four bolt main, open chamber 4 barrel heads, Cobra Jet engines
casting numbers do not indicate that is what it is, according to any
reference sources.

My guess is someone swapped the 4 barrel heads for 2 barrel heads, or you
have a complete two barrel engine that someone stuck a four barrel intake on
it.

By The Way:
Don't get caught up in this CRAP about the 4 barrel heads not producing
torque. There is no lack of torque in a 4 barrel Cleveland. Anyone who has
had the pleasure of driving one knows this. :-)