Moab questions

Old March 30th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Moab questions

I'm on the west coast of Canada, we have freinds of ours going to Moab
next year, spring, we may decide to go along. Just wondering what to expect,
weather wise, temp., hotel, getting parts, taking parts along, camping along
the way, or anything else anyone can think of that's been there.
We'd be in an 81 CJ7, locked front and back, 33" BFG Mts, winch, Hi-lift,
extra fuel, naturally I'd take the usual tools, fluids, U-joints and a few
other parts, would love to take another set of axles but as I don't know
what the terrain is like I don't know if it's worth the weight, or if they
could be found locally, I know I've ordered parts from a few places in Utah
and I would imagine Moab would have a 4x4 shop or 2.
Anyway anything anyone can pass along that's been there would be
appreicated.
Greg

Old March 30th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you are going in the spring, things should be nice, but it depends on the
month that you go down there. In March and April, there is a possibility of
getting a dusting of snow or rain. The temperatures at night could range
from about freezing to 50 degrees (F) at night, and during the day it could
get into the mid 70's F.

Also, starting in the spring the rates for hotels go up a lot. In the off
season a small hotel room will cost $50, but in the main season the same
room will cost $150 or more. During the week before Easter, the Utah High
Schools have spring break, and the town is flooded with teens. During the
same week, there usually is an off-road festival, so that fills up the
hotels plus the trails.

The terrain is varied, you can go on some trails with huge boulders, or you
can go on some trails where there are some areas with small rocks and sandy
tracks. I don't know how much you have looked at the area, but the rocks
are known as slick rock because when it gets wet you have no traction.

I am not sure how many 4x4 shops there are in the town, but you can look
that information up using www.dexonline.com. You may want to bring the
axels because some people do break them while they are out there.

Please describe what you mean by camping along the way. Do you mean camping
along the way from Canada or camping while in Moab?

Old March 31st 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hey Greg,
I am headed out for there in the morning...

Weather, depends on what month. March-April is chancy for rain or snow. May should
be in the 80-100's. You need to be very weather aware for what is happening in the
mountains around you. Rain in the La Salles can mean flash floods in the canyons
near Moab.

Rick Sparks, Moab Off Road - good man to know. =) I have not been down there in 3
years, but I am sure he is still running MOR. Good shop. They helped me out with
parts after my roll. If its a common part, bring it with. If its special to your
rig, bring it with. There is Moab off road, Nappa, and maybe another place or two.
Lots of fabricators...if you know who to ask, engine repair, glass replacement, etc.
there. If you have spare axle shafts, bring them. Its a very common breakage
problem. Otherwise your rig should do fine out there as long as you are careful.

Trails - these are not the only trails, just the ones use for EJS (Easter Jeep
Safari). http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html There are trails in the parks also. Be
careful and pay attention to ratings and signs. Pick up a guide book. Little things
will get you... like Amasa Back is the trail sign on the road, but its really Cliff
Hanger trail if you are wheeling and not biking. Do NOT go out alone. Carry extra
water. If you dont need it, the mountain bikers and or their pets will. That was
the first thing the off road shop warned me about when I made my first trip to Moab.

Camping on the way... depends on how many days you want to take getting there.

Camping in Moab - tons of choices, unless its EJS week. There are several
campgrounds on the main drag in Moab. Tons more in the surrounding areas. Hotels,
ranches, guest houses, condo's, hostels, etc. This is a major tourist area. You can
have all amenities or you can go so far as to dry camp out on the cap rock. During
EJS week, or any of the other big festivals, hotels and camping are at a premium.
When I was there last time, they said that there wasnt any place to stay for nearly
200 miles unless you wanted to dry camp up on the rocks. Thousands of folks decend
on the town for EJS. Many of the campgrounds have small cabins that you can rent -
better than a tent, not as $pendy as a hotel. Thats what we are doing this year.

Google EJS and Moab on the web - there is tons of info. Red Rock Four Wheelers are
the local club. Lots of info on their site. Also, they will send you the magazine
for EJS for something like 5 years at no cost if I remember correctly. Here are some
other useful sites that I have for Moab area.

http://www.state.ut.us/html/travel.htm
http://www.go-utah.com/travel/activities.cfm
http://www.go-utah.com/
http://www.discovermoab.com/
http://www.moab.net/
http://www.moab-utah.com/rack/campgrounds.html

Feel free to ask specific questions on or off line, however I wont be on line much
until I get there, and I am not sure if I can download usenet while there. E-mail I
will be checking.
-jenn

Old April 10th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Greg,
Just got back from Moab. If you send a snail mail addy I can send you some info
(printed) stuff I picked up while down there.

BTW, we had beautiful weather when it wasnt blowing, raining, hailing, or snowing. Go
figure. LOL.

Old April 12th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Pics Jenn...Pics!!!! ....pLeAsE =)

news

Old April 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Soon... I have about 500 of them to go thru and sort out before I can get them ready
to post... and its going to take a while!