heater fan on '99 Passat

Old November 11th 04, 06:25 PM
sal73110

Default heater fan on '99 Passat

My fan is not working. Checked the fuses, they're fine. What else can I
check to avoid high cost of repair?

Old November 11th 04, 11:12 PM
Woodchuck

Maybe the fan, the resistor, the wiring, the dash controls.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 14th 04, 05:44 PM
lilmissgiggles

I have the same problem with my 95 Golf.... checked the fuses - they're
fine. the weird thing is it started working again for two days and then it
stopped..... (just when it got cold here too!!)

The lights behind the ventilation controls don't work either unless you give
them a good whack, and the knob for the fan control used to get extremely
hot to touch... haven't checked lately because the fan quit working a couple
weeks ago...

Like 'sal' I'm trying to avoid a costly repair..... it sucks being a
starving student.

Thanks in advance!!

lilmissgiggles

Old November 14th 04, 06:28 PM
sal73110

Thanks for the response "woodchuck" I'll try your advise, will let you know

Old November 15th 04, 11:21 AM
Derek Wealleans

Had this problem twice on my Golf (14 years old), then I unfastened the
blower motor by a twist action and guessed that the resistor pack to vary
the motor speed was duff. There is a thermal cut out. Balls to all that so
I found the power wire and bridged it direct AT THE CONNECTOR side (power
in) to the highest speed setting. So now I have only high speed at position
one on the switch. I also cut in an inline fuse. The motor takes 12 amps
or more.

A Year back there was a thread on this point plus info where to buy the
thermal cut out from Maplins to do it all. If only one speed cuts out it is
one of the resistors. Full speed had no resistors.

--
Derek Wealleans

Remember:- remove the anti spam