Nova not firing after engine gets warm

Old July 24th 05, 04:02 AM
88Novoyta

Default Nova not firing after engine gets warm

Car cranks and runs perfect when the engine is cold. If you shut the engine
off and try to immediately crank it, no problem cranks and runs fine BUT,
if you let it sit for 15 minutes or so after shutting the engine off the
engine will not fire at all until completely cold again. I have checked or
replaced the following:
1.VSV
2.IG Coil
3. Vacuum switch that runs between VSV and Coil
4. Outer Vent Control Valve
5. EGR
6. TVSV
7. Cold Mixture Heater System
8. Positive crankcase Vent Sys
9.Thermostatic Air Cleaner Sys
10. Hot Idle Compensation Sys
11. Auto Choke
12. Auxiliary Acceleration Pump
13. Catalytic Converter
14. spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, oxygen sensor, VSV
are all new

The engine is 4A-LC (SOHC) with feedback carburation system. Vin code 4
I would be greatful for any help or ideas. Oh, I had also flushed the
carburator and put a new fuel filter and air filter on fisrt. Initially
the car was putting like it was not getting enough fuel now that is not a
problem.

Old July 24th 05, 05:20 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Have you checked the selonoid in the feedback carb? I have a feedback
carb on my Chevy and the viton tip broke off the mixture selonoid. This
was a common problem on those chevys and the aftermarket produced
a selonoid that didn't have the same problem.

In my case the broken off tip wedged further down in the selonoid creating
a permanently lean mixture.

Ted

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 24th 05, 06:50 AM
88Novoyta

Thanks Ted for your response. I rebuilt the carburator last summer so I
don't think that's problem. Does anyone think it may be the ignition
igniter?
Thanks again,
Richie

Old July 24th 05, 03:44 PM
ed

do you have spark at the plugs after this period? If not, I'd be going in
that direction.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 24th 05, 08:11 PM
pater

Gotta capacitor in there anywhere?? I've seen them short out under
heat if they have alot of age. Just a thought, if your sure that lack
of spark is your problem. Did you determine what exactly is lacking
when it won't start?? (spark, fuel)

Old July 30th 05, 01:27 PM
88Novoyta

Thanks to all who replied it was the igniter. Runs good as new. Now on to
converting the A/C over so I can beat this Georgia heat!