Brake Fluid Gunk.

Old June 4th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Brake Fluid Gunk.

Yesterday, I completed my second (solo) brake system flush. No bubbles,
solid pedal, and a sense of satisfaction.

I noticed the dark residue in the master cylinder reservoir (that still
remains). Three questions.

1) Where does this come from?

2) Short of pulling and cleaning the master cylinder, can this be
removed?

3) Can this buildup be prevented?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old June 4th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

2002civicdx wrote:

> Yesterday, I completed my second (solo) brake system flush. No bubbles,
> solid pedal, and a sense of satisfaction.
>
> I noticed the dark residue in the master cylinder reservoir (that still
> remains). Three questions.
>
> 1) Where does this come from?
>
> 2) Short of pulling and cleaning the master cylinder, can this be
> removed?
>
> 3) Can this buildup be prevented?

--------------------------------------

1) It may be some of the seals wearing, or it's just airborn DIRT, which
flows in and out when you use the brakes.
2) I remove the screen, then use a suction pump and a long bit of thin
tubing to suck as much out as possible before starting to do a bleed.
3) Keeping the brakes properly adjusted (if you have rear drums) and
keeping (compressible) air out of the brake lines might keep the
contamination WAY down, but just changing the fluid per the schedule in
the Owner's Manual should be enough.

'Curly'
Old June 5th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"2002civicdx" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> Yesterday, I completed my second (solo) brake system flush. No bubbles,
> solid pedal, and a sense of satisfaction.
>
> I noticed the dark residue in the master cylinder reservoir (that still
> remains). Three questions.
>
> 1) Where does this come from?

Old fluid mixed with water, and oxidized by same.

> 2) Short of pulling and cleaning the master cylinder, can this be
> removed?

Suck it out. Turkey baster will do fine.

> 3) Can this buildup be prevented?

Flush fluid once per year.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 5th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

This sounds simple, but after sucking out the fluid, I wipe down the inside
of the brake and clutch reservoir with a high quality paper towel before
adding new fluid to my brake/clutch master cylinder. I get at least 90%
of the nasty looking stuff out that way.

Old June 5th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "2002civicdx" > wrote in
> lkaboutautos.com:
>

>>Yesterday, I completed my second (solo) brake system flush. No bubbles,
>>solid pedal, and a sense of satisfaction.
>>
>>I noticed the dark residue in the master cylinder reservoir (that still
>>remains). Three questions.
>>
>>1) Where does this come from?

> Old fluid mixed with water, and oxidized by same.

yup, with a liberal dose of deteriorated rubber in there just for good
measure... tasty.

Old June 6th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"duckbill" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> This sounds simple, but after sucking out the fluid, I wipe down the
> inside of the brake and clutch reservoir with a high quality paper
> towel before adding new fluid to my brake/clutch master cylinder. I
> get at least 90% of the nasty looking stuff out that way.

I just change my fluid once a year.

Last year my master cylinder finally wore out (248,000 miles). Wanna see
how much gunk I had when I dumped the fluid out?
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maste...placement.html
See the pics about 2/3 of the way down.

Old June 6th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Follow up

During my flush, I kept the reservoir at least half-full. No bubbbles into
the lines.

1) When using the baster to remove the gunk, should I keep the reservoir
half-full? Or, OK to suction the reservoir dry?

2) Is it too late to go back and just remove the gunk without a full flush
this one time?

Old June 6th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I assume you are talking about brakes. If there is visible gunk, and you
have a way to remove it, I would recommend removal. Then refill the
reservoir. I would have recommended doing this first, though.

Earle

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 7th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"2002civicdx" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> During my flush, I kept the reservoir at least half-full. No bubbbles
> into the lines.
>
> 1) When using the baster to remove the gunk, should I keep the
> reservoir half-full? Or, OK to suction the reservoir dry?

You can suck it right dry. As long as you don't push the pedal before you
add more fluid, no air will get into the lines. Don't suck the fluid from
the port holes.

> 2) Is it too late to go back and just remove the gunk without a full
> flush this one time?

Nope. Remove anytime.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Recommended Brake Fluid Maintenance?! [email protected] Technology 26 April 22nd 06 04:37 PM
Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 08:06 PM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 03:21 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? HerHusband VW water cooled 0 January 1st 05 02:08 AM