60K Service questions

Old January 19th 05, 06:30 PM
CasualBloke

Default 60K Service questions

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2000 Passat GLX V6. It has done 57k miles and
I would like to know what (e.g. belts), if anything, should be
serviced/replaced. There is no warranty that needs to be taken into
consideration.

Also, the auto trans seems to labour when sitting in "drive" when the car
is at a stop. Is this usual? Would a routine service address this
)perceived) problem?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Brian.

Old January 19th 05, 07:00 PM
Joseph Meehan

CasualBloke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently purchased a 2000 Passat GLX V6. It has done 57k miles
> and I would like to know what (e.g. belts), if anything, should be
> serviced/replaced. There is no warranty that needs to be taken into
> consideration.

Best bet here is to look around to see if the owner's manual my still be
in the car somewhere. When you find out that the prior owner threw it out
the day he got the car (you can guess what care he has taken of the car)
then I suggest you stop by the dealer and see if they can get you a copy.
In addition eBay may have one and check the VW web site to see if they have
one that can be downloaded. I think someone said they did.

I suggest you find a good local independent mechanic who will take care
of your can and save you a fair amount over what a dealer would change.

> Also, the auto trans seems to labour when sitting in "drive" when the
> car is at a stop. Is this usual? Would a routine service address
> this )perceived) problem?

That's a judgment call. A little is OK a lot is too much.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 20th 05, 02:31 AM
Mike Smith

CasualBloke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently purchased a 2000 Passat GLX V6. It has done 57k miles and
> I would like to know what (e.g. belts), if anything, should be
> serviced/replaced. There is no warranty that needs to be taken into
> consideration.

The '03 manual lists:

- oil & filter change
- check engine & exhaust for leaks
- check battery levels
- lube door check straps
- replace dust filter
- check fluid level for cooling system, washer, transmission
- check a/t shift lock
- rotate tires, check spare
- check brake fluid level and pads
- check CV boots
- pull OBD codes
- clean/lube roof frame if present
- check tie rods and seals on ball joints
- adjust headlights
- airbag visual check
- road test

--
Mike Smith
Old January 20th 05, 02:32 AM
Rob Guenther

My VW dealership mechanic recommended transmission fluid changes and
computer resetting/updating of software if applicable every 80-100K kms. I
changed the fluid in my Golf last year with around 85K kms on the car, and
it made a nice difference. The mechanic said that lifetime tranny fluid
thing is BS - and I believe him, now... Tho VW tranny fluid is synthetic and
QUITE costly..... I thought it was worth it tho.

This was on a 99.5 Golf TDI Automatic.

Tranmission shifted smoother, car didn't vibrate as much while in drive and
stopped, resetting the computer helps too if a few people drive the car and
confuse the self-learning transmission.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 20th 05, 05:03 PM
CasualBloke