97 vw jetta

Old September 1st 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dannyT via CarKB.com

Default 97 vw jetta

Auto transmission, recently serviced but did not fix the problem i was having.
The car will not go when in R or D until car reaches operating temp then it
is jumpy at start and shifts roughly into second. Had serviced cause i
thought it might have been trans fluid and filter but did not fix the problem.
Any advice?

Old September 3rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

I personally don't have an automatic. VW automatics are generally not at
long term reliable as manual transmissions. However I believe the newer
heavier duty diesel automatics and those associated with turbo engines
seem to be heavier duty. You don't mention what kind of engine so I
am assuming you have an 2.0L.

The recent service could have produced these problems. You can try to
reset the transmission learning mode with a VAGCOM or other OBD-II
VW compatible. This might help the tranny learn how to shift properly
again.

Who serviced the tranny? VW dealer? Local shop? You? That year you can
still check the tranny fluild with a dipstick? Check it when it's at
operating temp. Have the tranny reset with the OBD and take it for a
highway cruise. Have a cell phone handy just in case. You will know
soon if it will settle down or if it is still having issues.

In article <65a4e7982a61f@uwe>, dannyT via CarKB.com <u24428@uwe> wrote:
>Auto transmission, recently serviced but did not fix the problem i was having.
>The car will not go when in R or D until car reaches operating temp then it
>is jumpy at start and shifts roughly into second. Had serviced cause i
>thought it might have been trans fluid and filter but did not fix the problem.
>Any advice?
>
>--

Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old September 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

I have been told that using the PROPER VW approved trans fluid will make the
shifts nice.
Maybe your transmission needs to have it pressures checked. :-(
If the fluid is low that might cause your problem too, but since it was just
serviced then it "should" be full.

good luck

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
>I personally don't have an automatic. VW automatics are generally not at
> long term reliable as manual transmissions. However I believe the newer
> heavier duty diesel automatics and those associated with turbo engines
> seem to be heavier duty. You don't mention what kind of engine so I
> am assuming you have an 2.0L.
>
> The recent service could have produced these problems. You can try to
> reset the transmission learning mode with a VAGCOM or other OBD-II
> VW compatible. This might help the tranny learn how to shift properly
> again.
>
> Who serviced the tranny? VW dealer? Local shop? You? That year you can
> still check the tranny fluild with a dipstick? Check it when it's at
> operating temp. Have the tranny reset with the OBD and take it for a
> highway cruise. Have a cell phone handy just in case. You will know
> soon if it will settle down or if it is still having issues.
>

> In article <65a4e7982a61f@uwe>, dannyT via CarKB.com <u24428@uwe> wrote:
>>Auto transmission, recently serviced but did not fix the problem i was
>>having.
>>The car will not go when in R or D until car reaches operating temp then
>>it
>>is jumpy at start and shifts roughly into second. Had serviced cause i
>>thought it might have been trans fluid and filter but did not fix the
>>problem.
>>Any advice?

96 VW Jetta 2.0L will not start due to lack of spark. hasenpfeffer-motorwerks VW water cooled 2 March 18th 06 01:01 AM
AWA [OFFER] OEM Fuel Filter for Volkswagen and Audi [email protected] General 0 November 29th 05 04:51 AM
90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question Lee VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 12:36 PM
Jetta Rim Size Glenn VW water cooled 4 May 15th 05 05:21 AM
'95 Jetta III + OBD + clearing code2 XXninjatooXX VW water cooled 3 April 7th 05 12:23 PM