looking for VW specific junkyard in Oklahoma I went to 10 years ago

Old April 24th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default looking for VW specific junkyard in Oklahoma I went to 10 years ago

Howdy,

I am looking for a VW specific salvage yard, or really any place I can get
cheap used alloy wheels to match one of mine that went out of round from
some really cool pointy rocks on a roadtrip.

There was a really good one in Oklahoma somewhere I went to 10 years ago;
now I can't remember where it is.

I am in Dallas, Texas, so more details on the OK junkyard or any other
within 150 miles would be helpful.

regards,
Keith E. Loyd

ps - modern science will never create a playground that children will find
as cool as a real junkyard.

Old April 24th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

What you are looking for is Wilson's in Lexington, about a 2 hour drive
from DFW. Sadly Wilson's is no more. The owner died back in 2000 and
the yard's doors were closed. In the Summer of 2004 his daughter and
her husband opened up the doors a few times to try and clear out some
of the stock in the yard, all of this being announced on the Samba, but
have since sent everything in the yard to the crusher. There was still
some stuff in the warehouse, but I am not sure how to go about getting
access to it or if it is still there. For local resources, you may want
to consider asking around on the Dallas Air Cooler's site,
http://dallasaircoolers.com as one of the guys on there may be able to
point you to a resource close by. Alternatively you can try posting on
http://thesamba.com to see if someone has what you are looking for.
Good luck!

Tom

Old April 24th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have two factory steel wheels if that helps.
The other two met their demise with a curb.

I am in DFW.

Terry

Old April 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Keith,

I am in Houston Texas but i remember a shop in Mesquite that has a bunch of
old VW's sitting outside. They Might be able to help.

They are in Mesquite off of Military parkway I think. There is a large hotel
and rodeo indoor arena across the street from the place. Sorry but I don't
have the name .

Mike

Old April 26th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Keith, I have a set of Empi Look alikes that I would part with for
50 bucks. They are decent rims, with a little bit of curb grinding
damage on a couple of them on the edged that could be cleaned up.

Call me at 214 458 0875 ( cell phone )

Oh, My name is Scott....( but you probably already knew that)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizzical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old April 26th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The shop in Mesquite is Piston and Plug (972)285-5393

The salvage yard in Oklahoma was Wilsons in Lexington and it closed a while
back.
Andy
63 Camper

Old April 28th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default found a VW junkyard in Texas

UPDATE:

2 good junkyards are within a day's drive of Dallas that I found:

1. Piston and Plug of Mesquite, they're good but only have aircooled stuff.
2. Austin Vee Dub - they have a whole lot of stuff, and it all looks well
organized, http://www.austinveedub.com/