Toyota Sienna starting problem

Old March 1st 05, 01:12 PM

Default Toyota Sienna starting problem

The other day after the car sat for a week, I started it to back it out
of the garage. I then restarted it 2 hours later and pulled it back
in. The next morning, the car just would not start, just cranked and
cranked. I finally got it started later in the day after about a
minute of cranking, and then there was an awful fuel smell coming out
of the exhaust. After that it was fine.

Now this seems like some sort of flooding occurred, but I thought that
is not possible with a fuel injected car. Can somone clarify what I
experienced.

Old March 2nd 05, 06:28 PM

That's interesting about the plugs. They are the original plugs. Car
is a 1998 model with 62000 miles, but I believe it has platinum plugs.
Maybe they need replacing anyway.

Comboverfish wrote:
> wrote:
> > The other day after the car sat for a week, I started it to back it

> out
> > of the garage. I then restarted it 2 hours later and pulled it

back
> > in. The next morning, the car just would not start, just cranked

and
> > cranked. I finally got it started later in the day after about a
> > minute of cranking, and then there was an awful fuel smell coming

out
> > of the exhaust. After that it was fine.
> >
> > Now this seems like some sort of flooding occurred, but I thought

> that
> > is not possible with a fuel injected car. Can somone clarify what

> > experienced.

> >From experience, I would suspect you have incorrect spark plugs

> installed or have never changed the original plugs that are way past
> due. This usually causes occasional difficult starting on an

otherwise
> healthy engine.
>
> If you experience this again you can force the computer to stop
> injecting gas during cranking if you push the gas pedal ALL the way

> the floor. It will recognise 100% throttle during cranking and

engage