2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 liter automatic

Old June 26th 05, 10:22 PM
Billy Ray

Default 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 liter automatic

Okay guys I need some assistance,

I have no illumination in the automatic transmission / Transfer case at
night.

I original assumed that the bulbs had burned out but when I removed the
console I found not bulbs but an electro-lumiscent panel.

I was unable to borrow a voltmeter but I was able to get a 12v test light.
There is power going into a "black box" that is between the wiring harness
and the electro-lumiscent panel. The output side of the "black box" did not
illuminate the tester but I do not know what voltage would be on the output
side.

Is there a way to test this "black box" or the electro-lumiscent panel?

Thanks,
-billy

Old June 26th 05, 10:30 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There's nothing listed: http://www.wjjeeps.com/lamps/lamps.htm
Maybe you're thinking of Japanese cars where their buyers are to stupid
to figure out where park is.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 26th 05, 10:51 PM
Billy Ray

Now Bill, I am sure there are drivers of American cars that are too stupid
to figure out how to put their vehicle in park. I might even be one of
them.

Any ideas on how to test the "black box" or the lumiscent panel?

Old June 26th 05, 11:24 PM
Dave Milne

For sure, that's why the only vehicles over here with clutch interlocks are
US built :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 26th 05, 11:26 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Your turn is coming.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 26th 05, 11:38 PM
Dave Milne

In terms of us becoming more litigious ? Can't disagree with you sadly.
Or did you mean me forgetting to depress the clutch ? Nah, it took me 6
months to realise the interlock was there as I always depress it. Only found
out when my Dad complained it wouldn't start.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 26th 05, 11:48 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

litigiously. http://www.billhughes.com/blame/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 26th 05, 11:50 PM
DougW

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
> Okay guys I need some assistance,
>
> I have no illumination in the automatic transmission / Transfer case at
> night.
>
> I original assumed that the bulbs had burned out but when I removed the
> console I found not bulbs but an electro-lumiscent panel.
>
> I was unable to borrow a voltmeter but I was able to get a 12v test light.
> There is power going into a "black box" that is between the wiring harness
> and the electro-lumiscent panel. The output side of the "black box" did not
> illuminate the tester but I do not know what voltage would be on the output
> side.

It's 60-120 volts at about 2-5kHz.

> Is there a way to test this "black box" or the electro-lumiscent panel?

Sure, but you need test equipment. Your basic testlamp isn't going to cut it.

Here's some reading
http://www.graphicsolutionsinc.com/elfaq.htm

--
DougW

Old June 27th 05, 12:03 AM
Dave Milne

Hopefully we will never get quite as litigious as you , as here you have to
pay the other party's costs if you lose.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 27th 05, 12:17 AM
tim bur

test it all you want because the parts are only availble with the shifter