85 GT CFI stalls when it gets hot

Old June 26th 05, 07:56 PM
elaich

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in
58:

> If it's NOT fuel related It might be the TFI, it might be the dist
> pickup, it might be timing... or a combination.

I only mentioned the TFI because it's notorious for causing intermittent
stalling. I had an '83 that had a bad one, but the engine never dragged
when trying to restart. It just wouldn't fire.

The starter dragging symptom is hard to get a read on. It occured to me
that the TFI 'might' cause the timing to be off and was causing
preignition, which could cause starter drag. I don't even know it that's
possible.

--
"This space for rent."
Old June 27th 05, 02:36 AM
duvald

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote:
> elaich > wrote in :
>
> > David M > wrote in
> > newsan.2005.06.23.10.08.03.390167 @sled351:
> >

>  >> How would a TFI module cause the starter to spin
> slowly like
>  >> the battery is running down?
> >
> > If the ignition is firing off time, it could cause

> preignition, and
> > starter drag.
> >

> 1. The codes wont tell you if the TFI is bad, given your
> symptoms... Code
> readout hardly EVER shows up a bad tfi in EECIV
>
> 2. As pointed out, this sounds much like a older carbed car,
> save dying
> at fifteen minutes.
> - Havent I read somewhere that CFI's sometimes DO get vapor
> lock? Due to
> lower pressure?
> I wouldnt have one myself... The only advantage is the DONT
> have a power
> valve to blow out.
>
> So I would Start by disabling the coil when it cranks hard..
> if it then
> cranks normal, you know it's premature ignition. (A too-lean
> mixture, at
> firing time SOMETIMES might cause the same but that is a
> little
> unlikely.)
>
> THEN disconnecting spout, and trying it, then borrowing a
> timing light.
> Make sure that it doesnt show more advance than 12 or so
> degrees while
> cranking. with spout disconnected
>
> If it's NOT fuel related It might be the TFI, it might be the
> dist
> pickup, it might be timing... or a combination.

I am inclined to believe the slow starter problem is heat related and
is seperate from the stalling/fuel problem but I’m willing to consider
anything and everything at this point. The starter works fine when it
cools down and if the replacement starter spins fast enought when hot,
it might restart the car. I’m gathering all my equipment and I will
try the fuel filter first, then check the fuel pressure after it heats
up. If the timing is set properly and disconnecting the coil causes
the starter to spin at the correct speed, should I replace the TFI
next or look elsewhere.

I really appreciate all the assistance from everyone, thanks for
taking the time to help me out.
Jim

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Musta...ict125683.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=615519

1991 Civic Stalls Paul Honda 5 June 14th 05 11:23 PM
1991 Civic Stalls Paul Technology 6 June 14th 05 11:23 PM
Car stalls after being driven 30 or more miles. [email protected] Technology 12 April 5th 05 04:37 PM
92 Buick Regal GS 3.8L V6 stalls stymied Technology 10 March 17th 05 04:19 AM
Grand Caravan 1997 Stalls anibalpr Dodge 0 September 8th 04 11:39 PM