Insurance gripes

Old March 13th 05, 08:59 AM
Big Bill

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:26:10 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:06:58 -0600,
>(Brent P) wrote:
>
>>In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>> Uh, no. YOUR insurance will pay.

>>Given the way things work, they'll find a way to deny it.

>Probably. But they are still SUPPOSED to pay.
>
>>But again, why should I pay for people without their own auto insurance
>>to drive my car, when they never, ever, will?

>Why should I have to pay insurance for a teenager who lives in my
>home, even if I never allow him to drive my cars?

If you sit in on a small claims court for a while, you'll see why.
"But, your honor, I'm not responsible for the damage my boy did
becasue I didn't give him permission to drive the car."
Know how far that flies? About half way to the judge's seat.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 13th 05, 09:01 AM
Big Bill

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:32:41 GMT, "Dave C." > wrote:

>> I think you're dealing with the wrong insurance company! :-)
>> Mine doesn't do that. It pays fair market value.
>>

>Have you actually made a claim?

Yes.
>That "fair market value" is probably less
>than the contents of your wallet at the moment. You'd be shocked and
>dismayed if you saw how they figure it. It has NO RELATION AT ALL to what a
>used-car dealer would have sold your car for, assuming that it was still in
>good shape. In fact, from fair market value, you can't even SEE retail
>price with a 20 foot long telescope. -Dave

You're just plain wrong.
Well, maybe with *your* insurance company, that's how it works.
Maybe you should shop around. I don't know why you would stay with an
insurance company like that.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 13th 05, 03:42 PM
Dave C.

> You're just plain wrong.
> Well, maybe with *your* insurance company, that's how it works.
> Maybe you should shop around. I don't know why you would stay with an
> insurance company like that.

ummm . . . because they are ALL like that. (don't get me started on
insurance companies) -Dave

Old March 13th 05, 04:46 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:42:29 GMT, "Dave C." > wrote:

>> You're just plain wrong.
>> Well, maybe with *your* insurance company, that's how it works.
>> Maybe you should shop around. I don't know why you would stay with an
>> insurance company like that.
>>

>ummm . . . because they are ALL like that. (don't get me started on
>insurance companies) -Dave

Well, from experience, I am telling you that you're wrong.
But, hey, if you want to settle, it's your money.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 14th 05, 02:36 PM

wrote:

> [...]

(liability

and
> > not

> it.

> second

first
> > car,

cost
> > of

> > insurance

> case
> > it

> yet

for
> > the

> > liability

> pays

> > coverage

> > matter). I

> car.

> car.

> my
> > POS

(zero)
> of

So
> if

> the
> > >
> > > And if you wreck your first car, and then drive the second car?

> > How is that different than me wrecking my first car, and then

buying
> > and driving a new car? Or me getting a rental car?

> You have to insure your new car before you can drive it.

Let me break it down. I have a car, and pay 1 insurance. I wreck the
car. I now buy a new car, and transfer my insurance to my new car. I am
only paying 1 insurance the entire time.

> > I don't have to pay
> > 2 insurance policies in either of those cases.

> Yes you do. Even if the rental car company insures the car, you are
> paying for it (indirectly).

Not true. When i rent a rental car my insurance covers the rental car.
I'm still just paying one insurance.

> > Or if I drive my
> > neighbors car.

> Hopefully you neighbor insures his/her car.

My insurance is set up so I can drive any car (so long as I don't own
it), and if I wreck it my insurance will pay for it.

> > Liablility should be on the person, and collision should
> > be on the car.

> Why?

Because it is a rip off. The odds of me getting in a wreck have nothing
to do with how many cars I own. You think someone with 100 cars should
pay 100 liabilities because they are 100 times as likely to get in a
wreck? You think the number off cars someone owns determines the risk
they are going to get in a wreck?

> > > Other than that, obviously you can't drive both at the same time.

> > Just
> > > as obviously, you aren't driving one car exclusively, or you

> wouldn't
> > > need to insure the second car at all.
> > > While it would certainly be possible to come up with a rate

> schedule
> > > that would only have one premium for those who have two driven

> cars,
> > > it would still be as high.

> > In no case can I drive both at the same time. So I am only driving

> one
> > car at a time exclusively, so there is no need for a second

> liability.
> > And in no case is the insurance company out any more money. Can you
> > give me an example of how the insurance agency would be out more?
> >
> > What if I had a 100 cars. Are my odds of getting into a wreck any
> > higher than if I had 1?

> Actually yes.

Actually no. How are my odds any different? Just saying so is not
enough.

> > No. So there shouldn't be an increase in my
> > liability.

down
> > when

> > coverage

> years

> were

> year

switch

> someother

policy?

as
> > the

but

> gets

etc),

Old March 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Alex Rodriguez > wrote:
>In article . com>,
says...

>>Because you are not insuring your equity in the car. You are assuring
>>against liability caused by your car. A POS car can generate just as
>>much liability as a top of the line model. If anything your rates
>>should go up because your brakes, etc are getting older.

>Makes sense. Why does the price of collision insurance not go down as the
>car gets older?

The premium for the form of insurance coverage called "collision"
in Massachusetts does go down because it only pays for damage to
the insured vehicle. The premium to insure property damage to
others remains the same.

--
John Carr )