850 4wd

Old February 8th 05, 07:16 AM
kern

Default 850 4wd

i wanna modify my 850 to have 4wd. i live in switzerland and i like 4wd due
to snow. so which other sissi here has the guts?

Old February 8th 05, 11:14 AM
John Burns

> i wanna modify my 850 to have 4wd. i live in switzerland and i like 4wd due
> to snow. so which other sissi here has the guts?

I guess a used 525iX would be the place to start for parts! Good luck.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old February 8th 05, 11:43 AM
Frank Kemper

"kern" > haute in die Tasten:

> i wanna modify my 850 to have 4wd. i live in switzerland and i like
> 4wd due to snow. so which other sissi here has the guts?

Go and buy a Porsche 964 Carrera 4, it may be the cheaper way.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old February 8th 05, 05:44 PM
kern

maybe from an audi or an subaru?

Old February 9th 05, 01:32 AM
Mark

> maybe from an audi or an subaru?

Hope you're one rich ******* if you're contemplating that.

It'll be expensive enough using BMW parts.

-mark

Old February 9th 05, 02:38 AM
Dan Drake

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:32:34 +1100, "Mark" <nukeleer#internode.on.net>
wrote:

>> maybe from an audi or an subaru?

>Hope you're one rich ******* if you're contemplating that.
>
>It'll be expensive enough using BMW parts.

I'd suggest that he forgets the AWD part, and just puts a small block
Chevy motor in it. It's certain to be more reliable than the original
motor, and easier and cheaper to maintain to boot.
--
Dan Drake
Old February 9th 05, 02:52 AM
Jeff Strickland

I suspect that adding AWB to your 850 will cost more than the 850 is worth.

You will at a minimum need to re-engineer the front suspension to accomodate
the new front differential that won't fit anywhere with the current design.
Then, you will need to shorthen the rear driveshaft and fit a transfer case
somewhere behind the transmission and the in front of the rear axle.

You would be better off trading that 850 for a car that already has AWD. It
would probably be cheaper to buy a new Jeep than to modify an 850 to accept
AWD.

If you are intent on doing this, I'd suggest lifting the parts from a 525ix
donor.

Old February 9th 05, 07:19 AM
fbloogyudsr

"kern" > wrote
>i wanna modify my 850 to have 4wd. i live in switzerland and i like 4wd due
>to snow. so which other sissi here has the guts?

Yesterday, I almost posted, noting a 2 on the 1-10 troll-meter scale.
However, you have pulled in a few, so I'll up it to 2.5.

Floyd

Old February 9th 05, 03:02 PM
Harri Holopainen

if you (the original poster) really have brass balls size of bowling
balls, you might want to consider this to your 850i:
http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/ye...olga/volga.htm.
also:
http://www.supercars.net/garages/MooSquad/10v2.html

525ix parts would probably be too weak for a 5 ltr V12, and putting
the 2.5L M50 into the 850 chassis probably wouldn't be such a good
idea either.