No Oil Filter???

Old November 10th 04, 02:15 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

> I'm looking
>forward to putting a real filter on the Wonderbus. Not that I don't love
>changing oil every 1,500 miles, of course . . .

do you have a "sand seal" on the pulley end of the crankshaft?....if not, even
with a "real" filter, *I*(personally) would not stretch the oil change
intervals toomuch if any at all....the crankcase is still open and ventilated
by outside "dirty" air.....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 10th 04, 02:19 AM
Narley Dude®

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:33:02 -0500, Shaggie
> wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:23:20 -0700, "John Connolly"
> wrote:
>
>>LOL, same quality?????? RIGHT!! :-D
>>
>>nice try!
>>
>>John
>>Aircooled.Net Inc.

>Here's an idea. Since the two of you disagree on performance engine
>parts and want to prove who knows what they are talking about and who
>is utterly full of ****, how about the two of you race your best VW
>that you've built and whoever loses the race has an extra large cup of
>STFU and leaves RAMVA...? That is, unless one of you is just a liar,
>con-artist, or has some really stupid excuse... :-) In case both of
>you do decide to race, I've got a dollar or two I'd like to bet on
>that race.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
- W.C. Fields

Sounds like a great way to make easy $$$
I might have to break into my "'vert top fund" on this one!
Lemme see....... Hmmmmmmm.....

I've known John C. for years Vs I don't really know Kafertoys.........
John has never bull**** me before....... Vs I don't really know
Kafertoys.........

Man, this is a tough one. Got alot of $$$ on this one (Darn tops are
not cheap for the 72 SB vert)

Gonna hafta say JOHN C. has my money!

Narley Dude®
Old November 10th 04, 02:26 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Shaggie

>No kiddin'. Y'all cheapo VW guys!!! It holds like 3 quarts of oil.
>JUST CHANGE IT!!! :-P

*us* cheap?....at least if i had a vehicle that needed five or six quarts i
would put more than two init...<G>
-------------------
Old November 10th 04, 02:44 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Shaggie

>Hey! *EVERY*....... *SINGLE*....... *TIME* that I did put oil in that
>vehicle, I _did_ put in 5 or 6 quarts........ :-)

calm down shag.....its okay...us "cheap" vw people don't fix every leak
either...LOLOLOLOLOLOL
-------------------
Old November 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Chris Perdue wrote:
>>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

>>I'm looking
>>forward to putting a real filter on the Wonderbus. Not that I don't love
>>changing oil every 1,500 miles, of course . . .

> do you have a "sand seal" on the pulley end of the crankshaft?....

Sand seal on the pulley end of the crankshaft . . . lemme see what I am
not seeing: I've pulled the pulley a few times . . .it mounts on a shaft
which protrudes from the rear (rear is rear) of the engine. That end of
the shaft doesn't seem to be loose or rattling around and I don't recall
looking at it and thinking, "My what a big old sloppy opening around
this shaft!"

What did I not see?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 10th 04, 03:10 AM
Kafertoys

Why don't you just say let john and I fight then lets see how wins.

Sorry I don't build performance engines and both my daily drivers are aircooled
so stock works best for me.

wait lets put it in my favor lets see who can build the best show car.

the simple minds amaze me at times.

Mario
Vintage Werks restorations
help keeping the joy alive
Old November 10th 04, 03:18 AM
John Willis

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:02:06 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> scribbled this
interesting note:

>Chris Perdue wrote:
>>>From: "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

>>>I'm looking
>>>forward to putting a real filter on the Wonderbus. Not that I don't love
>>>changing oil every 1,500 miles, of course . . .

>> do you have a "sand seal" on the pulley end of the crankshaft?....

>Sand seal on the pulley end of the crankshaft . . . lemme see what I am
>not seeing: I've pulled the pulley a few times . . .it mounts on a shaft
>which protrudes from the rear (rear is rear) of the engine. That end of
>the shaft doesn't seem to be loose or rattling around and I don't recall
>looking at it and thinking, "My what a big old sloppy opening around
>this shaft!"
>
>What did I not see?

Threads around the end of the pulley? Those throw the oil back into
the case. A sand seal is a machined in seal that actually seals the
space between the pulley and the case.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)