Mexico Trip

Old June 21st 05, 02:17 AM
Michael White

Default Mexico Trip

All (especially those of us along the Mexican border),

Has anyone taken their Jeep to any trails down in Mexico? Or can point me
to a web site or two? Something away from the border towns...

Thanks.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Old June 21st 05, 04:25 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Michael,
Have a passport for going further south than Ensenada or San
Felpie, Baja California, I don't know what is for the main land.
Know how to survive a hundred and twenty heat when their Premix
fouls your fuel system?
Know the proper technique for bribing the Federales.
Know your firearm is illegal, but you may need it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 22nd 05, 01:26 AM
Michael White

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I figured on the passport, and I've dealt with the
bribes to the locals at the border towns. The firearm is an interesting
conundrum that I'm still noodling. Didn't know about the Premix gas (never
needed a fill-up there) - any solution to that one, short of hauling a 50
gallon drum of gas in the back? Or are there other brands available there?

Thanks.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III ) wrote on Monday 20 June 2005
10:25 pm:

Old June 22nd 05, 01:40 AM
DougW

Michael White did pass the time by typing:
> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the info. I figured on the passport, and I've dealt with the
> bribes to the locals at the border towns. The firearm is an interesting
> conundrum that I'm still noodling. Didn't know about the Premix gas (never
> needed a fill-up there) - any solution to that one, short of hauling a 50
> gallon drum of gas in the back? Or are there other brands available there?

About that firearm..

DO NOT TAKE IT OR ANY AMMO ACROSS THE BORDER PERIOD!

Unless you actually want to be in a Mexican jail for a few years.
http://www.mexonline.com/mexguns.htm

And the laws on hunting, the ONLY legal way to bring a
firearm into Mexico. http://www.mexonline.com/huntmex.htm

My opinion is if a place is so dangerous I'll need a weapon
I simply go somewhere else. Economics will eventually prevail.

PMEX is the oil industry in mexico, it's a state run monopoly.
Read here. http://www.mexadventure.com/Mexico_Fuel.cfm
Head the warning about bringing spare fuel filters. It's not
as common as in the past (especially if you buy off the major
roads) but get back in the boondocks and you could get a tank
of crapoline. A couple cans of Octane booster/Water eliminator
is also a good idea.

You should also pick up vehicle insurance for Mexico. Most US plans will
not cover you there and the Mexican insurance is very helpful if you get
in any altercation. AAA can fill you in on this.

Not to be too pessamistic, this applies to certain third world
contries I've been to.

If you park somewhere and will be away from your vehicle consider
taking the primary ignition wire with you. It won't protect against
vandalism but it can prevent someone from driving off with your wheels.
...sidenote.. some thieves carry a spare now. :/

--
DougW

Old June 22nd 05, 01:54 AM
rgb

Michael --

I have made two trips from SoCal to Todos Santos, which is just above
Cabo San Lucas in Baja California. Once in a 93 Cherokee, once in a 05
Wrangler.

Each time I took off on unpaved, deeply rutted roads over mountains. I
don't think you could call them trails, but each involved about 4 to 6
hours of driving at speeds ranging from a 4L crawl to maybe 40mph. I
averaged about 12mph. I think I saw one pickup on one of the trips.
There are multiple sharp switch-backs, many drop-offs, a few fords, and
of course, no guard rails or signs. The occasional road off to a
rancho is easily confused with the "highway" and you pretty much have
to expect to get a bit lost, or at least uncertain where you are. If
you want to drink a beer as you drive, no ones's going to stop you. If
you want to do a bit of Baja Racer, no one's going to stop you. Of
course, if you crash, no one's going to know it.

Both roads went by old (1700s) missions (Borca and San Javier) and can
be found on any map of Baja.

For someone throughly sick of the overcrowding of Southern California,
there is a deep pleasure in the miles and miles of open country, bad
roads, unmarked intersections, and clear skys. The driving is not
technical, but it's a good use of a jeep.

I was just told by someone here in Todos Santos that there is some nice
country just off the highway from Tecate to Ensenada. He used to go
quail hunting there. I don't know of any specific roads there, but my
experience is that any road on a Baja map that is marked as poor is a
good road to take.

On the gas and gun thing: Pemex 87 has caused me no problems in over
10,000 miles of driving here. There are plenty of well stocked
stations. Leave the gun home. Don't even think about it.

And the Federales. I got stopped for speeding (I was speeding). He
was like the guy next door. No US-style cop intimidation. We talked
about where I was from, where I was going, the weather, how nice Mexico
was. Finally I asked whether there was any way to settle this now, on
the spot. He shrugged. I said, doscientos? He shrugged. I offered
docscientos. He took it. I said muchas gracias, he waved good bye, I
waved good bye, and that was it. I'll take that any day in preference
to my last California chicken **** speeding ticket. The cop was an
asshole and I ended up paying around $500. Doscientos is about $20.

Bob Brown

Old June 22nd 05, 02:09 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

here here, our crap police are just $$$$$$ grubbers......tax collectors for
the local municipitality. They do some good, I understand that, but
generally, overall......they're all a bunch of *******s!!!!!

Old June 22nd 05, 02:16 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Revenue enhancers.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 22nd 05, 08:23 PM
Doug

I hope you survive the trip. There are plenty of bandits down there who will
take your jeep and your life. These bandits sometimes where uniforms and are
sometimes called Federales.

Then again my friend went surfing down there and didn't have any problems at
all. One of his tips is to keep your bribe money in your wallet and hide the
rest of your money.

--
there is no .sig
nk.net...

Old June 23rd 05, 01:56 AM
Michael White

DougW ) wrote on Tuesday 21 June 2005 07:40 pm:

> Michael White did pass the time by typing:
>> Bill,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I figured on the passport, and I've dealt with the
>> bribes to the locals at the border towns. The firearm is an interesting
>> conundrum that I'm still noodling. Didn't know about the Premix gas
>> (never needed a fill-up there) - any solution to that one, short of
>> hauling a 50
>> gallon drum of gas in the back? Or are there other brands available
>> there?

> About that firearm..
>
> DO NOT TAKE IT OR ANY AMMO ACROSS THE BORDER PERIOD!
>
> Unless you actually want to be in a Mexican jail for a few years.
> http://www.mexonline.com/mexguns.htm
>
> And the laws on hunting, the ONLY legal way to bring a
> firearm into Mexico. http://www.mexonline.com/huntmex.htm
>
> My opinion is if a place is so dangerous I'll need a weapon
> I simply go somewhere else. Economics will eventually prevail.

> PMEX is the oil industry in mexico, it's a state run monopoly.
> Read here. http://www.mexadventure.com/Mexico_Fuel.cfm
> Head the warning about bringing spare fuel filters. It's not
> as common as in the past (especially if you buy off the major
> roads) but get back in the boondocks and you could get a tank
> of crapoline. A couple cans of Octane booster/Water eliminator
> is also a good idea.

> You should also pick up vehicle insurance for Mexico. Most US plans will
> not cover you there and the Mexican insurance is very helpful if you get
> in any altercation. AAA can fill you in on this.

> Not to be too pessamistic, this applies to certain third world
> contries I've been to.
>
> If you park somewhere and will be away from your vehicle consider
> taking the primary ignition wire with you. It won't protect against
> vandalism but it can prevent someone from driving off with your wheels.
> ..sidenote.. some thieves carry a spare now. :/

Doug,

Actually, for the firearms, I was thinking of alternatives, such as an air
rifle. I haven't checked into this yet, but is there some problem with air
rifles in Mexico? Yeah, it's not a "real gun", but a 1200 FPS .177 is
nothing you'd wanna to get smacked with...

Thanks.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:23 AM
DougW

Michael White did pass the time by typing:

> Doug,
>
> Actually, for the firearms, I was thinking of alternatives, such as an air
> rifle. I haven't checked into this yet, but is there some problem with air
> rifles in Mexico? Yeah, it's not a "real gun", but a 1200 FPS .177 is
> nothing you'd wanna to get smacked with...

Slingshot/wristrocket.

No kidding though, the wristrocket is a lethal weapon that some folks
even hunt with.

I wouldn't even tempt fate. First off anything bb gun is just going
to **** off any potential attacker. Anything less than a lethal shot
is going to simply get you hurt badly if not killed outright.
If you actually need a weapon get a hunting permit.

--
DougW

Long distance trip tool box & maintainance...... popeyeball Jeep 4 June 1st 05 02:53 AM
Trip to Disney mickey Dodge 0 November 28th 04 05:44 PM
Trip to Disney mickey Audi 0 November 28th 04 04:01 PM
Trip meter / Odometer kh0513 Saturn 1 July 19th 04 11:32 PM