Starter recommendations

Old June 7th 05, 08:49 PM
David

Default Starter recommendations

My wifes 98 sebring convertible needs a new starter. Any recommendations?
autolite, bosch, beck /arnley, etc? I don't really feel like using jobber
no-name rebuilt. Napa is very over-priced considering Checker, and Autozone.

the car has 2.5l v-6
Thanks

Old June 7th 05, 09:04 PM
N8N

David wrote:
> My wifes 98 sebring convertible needs a new starter. Any recommendations?
> autolite, bosch, beck /arnley, etc? I don't really feel like using jobber
> no-name rebuilt. Napa is very over-priced considering Checker, and Autozone.
>
> the car has 2.5l v-6
> Thanks

from the archives:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ef7838e697916f

nate

Old June 8th 05, 01:51 AM

On 7 Jun 2005 13:04:32 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>David wrote:
>> My wifes 98 sebring convertible needs a new starter. Any recommendations?
>> autolite, bosch, beck /arnley, etc? I don't really feel like using jobber
>> no-name rebuilt. Napa is very over-priced considering Checker, and Autozone.
>>
>> the car has 2.5l v-6
>> Thanks

>from the archives:
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ef7838e697916f
>
>nate

Locally my recommendation would be to take it to Petersens and have it
fixed - but not all towns have a reputable local rebuilder.

I usually get the parts and fix my own. Failing that (too far gone) I
check local wreckers and try to pick a good one. I've found my chances
there are about on par with most "rebuilts" from the likes of AutoZone
etc. and a lot less money than Napa. At least one of the local
wreckers gives a full year warranty on used parts.The advantage to
used over rebuilt is you KNOW they have worked at some point in their
lives.(I call them EXPERIENCED parts)
Old June 16th 05, 04:51 PM
KWS

If the problem is the solenoid (you hear a "click" sound, but the starter
does not run), I usually replace that part of the starter. This is what gets
the most wear as it is a set of contacts that switch hundreds of amps.
Because of this, the contact surfaces wear out and the copper contacts
actually change shape dramatically.

The starter itself, as far as being a motor goes, doesn't have such a tough
life. For the most part, it simply goes along for the ride after doing the
job of turning the engine over.

I am suspicious of "rebuilt" starters after replacing a series of them in a
past car. If you choose to do this, go to one of the shops that offer a
"lifetime" replacement and hang onto the receipt.

Ken