97 Explorer Transmission issue

Old December 7th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 97 Explorer Transmission issue

OK I know it needed it even though no bad signs or sounds. I changed
the trans fluid and filter.It was due. Also drained the transfer case
and changed the fluid. Used Mercon V as the manual stated. Started off
to work the next day and as I slowed down it jumped out of gear started
slipping. I could stop put it back in drive and it drove a couple miles
then did it again. Decided to try 4WD low and I made it to work, a
couple more miles. Searching it seems I might have not gotten the
filter sealed or installed improperly?? Have I possibly damaged it by
driving it? Should I tow it back home before working on it? Any
suggestions? Thanks everyone.

Old December 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK I know it needed it even though no bad signs or sounds. I changed
> the trans fluid and filter.It was due. Also drained the transfer case
> and changed the fluid. Used Mercon V as the manual stated. Started off
> to work the next day and as I slowed down it jumped out of gear started
> slipping. I could stop put it back in drive and it drove a couple miles
> then did it again. Decided to try 4WD low and I made it to work, a
> couple more miles. Searching it seems I might have not gotten the
> filter sealed or installed improperly?? Have I possibly damaged it by
> driving it? Should I tow it back home before working on it? Any
> suggestions? Thanks everyone.

Is it just low on fluid? According to what I've read the level needs to be
checked after about 10 miles or so of "normal" driving and on level ground
while the engine is running.

Old December 13th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

There is no screw to attach the filter to the valve body in your
transmission, right? The first thing to check would be if it's still in
place. Had the same symptoms once, after changing the original filter to a
brand starting with 'F'. The neck just wouldn't hold tight enough, and the
filter fell into the pan. Changed brands and no problem in years.

oups.com...

Old December 13th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Thanks but it's not low. Checked it several times. I've narrowed it
down to the transfer case. It would shift into 4WD low and drive ok but
jumps out in High and auto. I've got it in the shop since 2 different
pros have told me it's probably coincidental. The new fluid maybe but
these transfer cases are known for this..Seems odd to me but at least
it's cheaper than the trans..

Old December 13th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Yes it has a screw. Thanks. My post above is where I'm at. It appears
the tranny is ok.