chirping upon acceleration

Old July 21st 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Default chirping upon acceleration

When I accelerate even slightly in my '94 XL I hear a chirping sound.
Like a bird. It goes away immediately when I ease off the accelerator
pedal. Doesn't affect performance, just annoying and maybe something on
it's way out? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. thanks.
Old July 21st 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton[_1_]

Very interesting that this appears next to the belt tensioner. In my 97
the chirping sound went away when I replaced the belt tensioner.

Old July 22nd 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Art McClinton wrote:
> Very interesting that this appears next to the belt tensioner. In my 97
> the chirping sound went away when I replaced the belt tensioner.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> When I accelerate even slightly in my '94 XL I hear a chirping sound.
>> Like a bird. It goes away immediately when I ease off the accelerator
>> pedal. Doesn't affect performance, just annoying and maybe something
>> on it's way out? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. thanks.

Yeah, I suspect the tensioner but I replaced it about 30,000 miles ago
(when the truck had about 40,000 miles on it). Do these things typically
have a short life span?
Old July 28th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Spud Unger[_1_]

Bob wrote:
> When I accelerate even slightly in my '94 XL I hear a chirping sound.
> Like a bird. It goes away immediately when I ease off the accelerator
> pedal. Doesn't affect performance, just annoying and maybe something on
> it's way out? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. thanks.

i had a similar noise i eventually found coming from near the firewall.
i ran engine without serpentine belt to eliminate all that stuff. turned
out to be camshaft synchronizer.
Old July 31st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Spud Unger wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> When I accelerate even slightly in my '94 XL I hear a chirping sound.
>> Like a bird. It goes away immediately when I ease off the accelerator
>> pedal. Doesn't affect performance, just annoying and maybe something
>> on it's way out? Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. thanks.

> i had a similar noise i eventually found coming from near the firewall.
> i ran engine without serpentine belt to eliminate all that stuff. turned
> out to be camshaft synchronizer.

Thanks. I'll look into that. Is it hard to replace? expensive?
Old August 2nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Remove your serpantine belt and see if the noise is still there. If so, it
is likely the camshaft synchronizer. I had the issue on my 97 OHV 4.0.
Itcan be a pain to replace depending on your engine. I had to remove the
upper & lower intake manifold to get to it on mine. Look up the thread
titled "Chirping 97 explorer " using google groups.