95 Integra Radiator Help!

Old June 12th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 95 Integra Radiator Help!

I just took my car to a mechanic because of a radiator fluid leak.
Apparently, my radiator is old and needs to be replaced. I was quoted
about $427 for labor and parts. And also, he was recommending that the
coolant system be flushed and change the parts related to it. And
that's an extra $600, totaling about $1100. Does the price sound
reasonable? I've been fooled by many mechanics before and I don't feel
like I can trust anyone with my car nowadays. HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Old June 13th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> I just took my car to a mechanic because of a radiator fluid leak.
> Apparently, my radiator is old and needs to be replaced. I was quoted
> about $427 for labor and parts.

An aftermarket unit is less than $200. His price seems a bit high. Did he
break it down, parts and labor, or just give you a blanket quote?

> And also, he was recommending that the
> coolant system be flushed and change the parts related to it. And
> that's an extra $600, totaling about $1100.

"Parts related"? Pretty wide scope there. An extra $600 sounds like he's
replacing every hose, plus the thermostat, plus a bunch more parts. Not a
bad idea, but not all of that is 100% necessary. It also depends on the
condition of the cooling system right now. If it's been neglected, or
you've been using silicated antifreeze, you could have issues related to
that.

How old are your rad hoses? The thermostat? The coolant that's in there
right now? Ever run hot, or overheated?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 13th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I was quoted $174.60 for labor and $198 for an "aftermarket used"
radiator, plus taxes.

For the cooling system, I think he was trying to make money out of me.
I've only had my car overheated once since I've owned it (almost 11
years now). That was 4 years ago, and it was because we were going up a
steep mountain road. I think I'll pass on the cooling system since it
doesn't seem necessary.

The thermostat and coolant is about 5 years old. My car was in a front
head collision and I'm pretty sure those were changed.

Thanks for the response! Very helpful!

Old June 13th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I'd ask your mechanic if you can provide the radiator and have him install it
for you. If he doesn't, I'd look elsewhere. This guy seems to be ripping you off
from what you are saying. I've purchased two radiators from
http://www.performanceradiator.com/ and they have been fine for about 2 years
now (they also have a 3 year warranty). Whatever you do or purchase from, make
sure to use Honda coolant.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Old June 13th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

There is no such thing as "aftermarket used". "Aftermarket" refers to a new
product, made by someone other than the original vehicle manufacturer.
"Used" is just that. While "used aftermarket" parts certainly exist, they
are not sold that way. I would recommend talking to someone, who actually
knows what he is selling.

A little basic engineering, if I may. Your car did not overheat, "because"
you were going up a steep mountain road. I drive my Honda up and down steep
mountain roads every day, sometimes stuck behind huge slower than molasses
motor homes. Your car overheated because of an insufficiency in the cooling
system. What that is, I don't know. It could have been low coolant, a
damaged radiator, a bad water pump, need to flush the system, lots of stuff.

Earle

ups.com...

Old June 13th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 12 Jun 2006 13:10:17 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I just took my car to a mechanic because of a radiator fluid leak.
>Apparently, my radiator is old and needs to be replaced. I was quoted
>about $427 for labor and parts. And also, he was recommending that the
>coolant system be flushed and change the parts related to it. And
>that's an extra $600, totaling about $1100. Does the price sound
>reasonable? I've been fooled by many mechanics before and I don't feel
>like I can trust anyone with my car nowadays. HELP!
>
>Thanks in advance!

My '90 accord after market radiator cost $125 from radiator barn. Took
me little over two hours to install it and all new hoses except for
heater hoses, and have the car up and running. And I was going slow
cause I don't do it for a living.

Seems a touch high to me, but I would imagine it is in the ball park
if you get multiple quotes.

Frank
Old June 13th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Frank Boettcher wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2006 13:10:17 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
> >I just took my car to a mechanic because of a radiator fluid leak.
> >Apparently, my radiator is old and needs to be replaced. I was quoted
> >about $427 for labor and parts. And also, he was recommending that the
> >coolant system be flushed and change the parts related to it. And
> >that's an extra $600, totaling about $1100. Does the price sound
> >reasonable? I've been fooled by many mechanics before and I don't feel
> >like I can trust anyone with my car nowadays. HELP!
> >
> >Thanks in advance!

> My '90 accord after market radiator cost $125 from radiator barn. Took
> me little over two hours to install it and all new hoses except for
> heater hoses, and have the car up and running. And I was going slow
> cause I don't do it for a living.
>
> Seems a touch high to me, but I would imagine it is in the ball park
> if you get multiple quotes.
>
> Frank

I would strongly recommend that you change out *all* the hoses. A burst
heater hose will cause you as much grief as the main radiator hoses and
in a short time as well... BTDT

JT
Old June 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Earle Horton" > wrote in
:

> Your car overheated because of
> an insufficiency in the cooling system.

"Insufficiencies" sufficient to cause catastrophic overheating in modern
cars are almost universally due to neglect, inattention, and/or
incorrect/incompetent servicing.