98 Accord won't start

Old October 17th 05, 01:09 PM
TeGGeR®

Default 98 Accord won't start

wrote in
oups.com:

> So miraculously I tried starting the car today with the jump-starter
> and bang it fired right up, no playing with the throttle or anything. I
> was going to test for spark, now that our new england monsoon has ended
> (7 days of straight rain) but since it fired up, obviously it's getting
> spark.

Or the wires have dried off enough to allow starting.

> Now however I have a new problem. I was going to let it run for a while
> to charge the battery but the idle suddenly went "wacky". The car
> sounds like it's reving the engine, idling between 1k and 2k RPM again
> and again in a pulsing fashion (reeer... reeer.... reeer...).

Massive air leak!! Check ALL hoses!

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 17th 05, 08:35 PM

Well I finally broke down and took it to a mechanic. After I got it to
start, and it would move, I decided to try and get it somewhere before
I had to have it towed. The mechanic said the "Idle Air Control", IAC,
valve wasn't working properly which was causing the surging/pulsing
idle. I read up on it, and it sounds like it could have been the cause
of my no start as well. This has been quite a learning experiece and I
appreciate all the help from the people who've posted here! Thanks!
They replaced the IAC and according to the mechanic (I haven't picked
it up yet) "it's running great", the total is about $300, which
considering I had them fix a leaking tire as well I guess isn't too
bad.

The only thing I wonder is why this didn't set any error codes in the
computer, since I've read in other places that a stuck or
malfunctioning IAC can set codes (and/or light the MIL).

Hopefully this little saga is over, thanks to all,
-Mike

Old October 17th 05, 11:18 PM
Elle

Did you ever purge the cooling system of air?

I had idle problems last year not unlike yours, took apart the IAC valve,
and in the process found the cooling chamber was full of air.

Purged the system. Car ran like a charm.

Old October 17th 05, 11:54 PM
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> Well I finally broke down and took it to a mechanic. After I got it to
> start, and it would move, I decided to try and get it somewhere before
> I had to have it towed. The mechanic said the "Idle Air Control", IAC,
> valve wasn't working properly which was causing the surging/pulsing
> idle.

Then it was stuck WIDE open, or the gaskets were leaking severely. You've
had an unusual occurrence.

> I read up on it, and it sounds like it could have been the cause
> of my no start as well. This has been quite a learning experiece and I
> appreciate all the help from the people who've posted here! Thanks!
> They replaced the IAC and according to the mechanic (I haven't picked
> it up yet) "it's running great", the total is about $300, which
> considering I had them fix a leaking tire as well I guess isn't too
> bad.
>
> The only thing I wonder is why this didn't set any error codes in the
> computer, since I've read in other places that a stuck or
> malfunctioning IAC can set codes (and/or light the MIL).

The IAC valve will set an error only if it stops responding. If the gaskets
were leaking or the plunger was stuck and not moving in response to the
motors' commands, a code will not be set.

A stuck IAC points to either a defective assembly, or severe contamination
of the throttle body. Be nice to know some details of what he found.

Old October 18th 05, 01:51 PM

TeGGeR® wrote:

> The IAC valve will set an error only if it stops responding. If the gaskets
> were leaking or the plunger was stuck and not moving in response to the
> motors' commands, a code will not be set.

Well that makes sense, thanks!

> A stuck IAC points to either a defective assembly, or severe contamination
> of the throttle body. Be nice to know some details of what he found.

His exact words were, the IAC was "completely flat" and not pulsing
properly. I'm too much of a newbie in this car stuff to have asked the
right questions I guess.

Do you think I should be concerned about the IAC being stuck? The car
has almost 150k miles, this isn't something that usually wears out? You
think this could be an indicator of something more serious?

Thanks!
-Mike

Old October 19th 05, 06:40 PM

Hmm I'm fairly religious on changing the oil in my car. I've
occasioanlly gone 4k miles, but rarely (the car's at 140k miles and
almost all of them long highway drives commuting, it's had quite a few
oil changes). I'll have a mechanic check the throttle body and PVC
system. The car seems to be running great now, but what would be
symptoms of those being dirty?

I had an ignition switch/ignition coil issue about a two years ago that
caused a long chain of cascade failures.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a... dfaa26be02bf0

The exact chain of events is a little murky but it was something like
something in the starter system died that fried, my alternator, that
caused my battery to discharge after the dealer replaced the alternator
and battery the engine misfired and stalled quite a bit clogging the
EGR ports and screwing up the catalytic converter. The dealership that
did the repairs (suspisciously) did a bunch of work for free because
they initially just replaced the alternator and battery and told me I
was all set.

Could all of that been a precursor to this issue?

Thanks for the advice, tegger!

-Mike

91 Honda Accord no start pete Technology 1 May 21st 05 04:46 AM
intermittent start stevie Honda 3 May 6th 05 04:20 PM
97 V6 SOHC Will Intermittantly Not Start - loses clock/radio memory settings??? Jeff Ford Explorer 0 January 20th 05 03:11 AM
91 accord wont start [email protected] Honda 3 January 4th 05 08:44 PM
94 accord cranks but won't start Matt Honda 7 January 3rd 05 02:06 AM