Rear wiper on a sedan?

Old October 24th 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Brian Smith

Default Rear wiper on a sedan?

Stewart wrote:

> I've been driving for 35 years, and I'll never say never.

I did say "have never had", I can't see a need in the future to look at
the rear window either.

Old October 24th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
tww1491

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Such a thing actually exists. And I took a picture of it.
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/skyline_wiper.jpg
>
> This Nissan Skyline of unknown vintage lives across the street from where
> work, and I discovered it just last week. What a cool car. I always
> wondered why Nissan never sold it in Canada or the US.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Often wondered too. When I was stationed in Japan in 1967-69, the Skyline
2000 was a great sports sedan with a 2.0 liter SOHC I6 with a 5 speed. The
versions I recall came with the dual Solex copy of the Weber carb with a
dual exhaust. They ran like stink and handled. The car was originally made
by the Prince Motor Car Co which was bought out by Datsun (Nissan). I used
to autocross against them with a modified Sunbean Tiger in Tokyo Sports Car
Club. I have a picture somewhere of the Skyline back then with the hood
open.

Old October 24th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Brian Smith

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> Are you saying that you never look in the rear view mirror to see what's
> happening directly behind you?

That is correct. There is no need to look out the rear window, if one
keeps their eyes moving taking in what is going on around their vehicle.
I've been doing it for forty years now and no incidents for well over
two and a half million miles.

> If that's the case, I'll remember to give you a WIDE berth.

No need to worry about me and my vehicle, I'll see you coming long
before you're close enough to be a problem. :^)

> Not that you'll ever try this, but properly set mirrors mean you don't
> have to twist your neck around to see what's happening around you.
>
> If your side mirrors are set properly, you have zero blind spots.
> Everything that's happening around you, you can see by looking in the
> rear view mirror, or as the cars exit that and come up beside you you'll
> see them in the side mirror, or as the cars exit that and come further
> up beside you you'll see them in your peripheral vision.
>
> All without ever moving your head farther than over to your side mirrors.
>
> So in that regard, there's zero reason to twist around and plant your
> eyeballs directly outside a rear window, yes.
>
> But not to use a rear view mirror, not to see things that the side
> mirror can't show you? Not to have a heads up on what's happening back
> there BEFORE the action comes into a side mirror?

But, one can know what is going on behind them if they keep checking
their mirrors properly. Nothing can sneak up on you, if you're paying
attention.

> That's ****ing insane.

Untrue.
Old October 24th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Stewart[_3_]

"Brian Smith" > wrote in message
> Stewart wrote:
>>
>> I've been driving for 35 years, and I'll never say never.

> I did say "have never had", I can't see a need in the future to look
> at the rear window either.

Might as well do away with it.

Old October 24th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Brian Smith

Stewart wrote:

> Might as well do away with it.

In the past I have taken the inside mirror out of the vehicle. Now I
use it to mount the E-Pass on it and because it has a thermometer in it.
Old October 24th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Brian Smith wrote:
> Stewart wrote:
>>
>> Might as well do away with it.

> In the past I have taken the inside mirror out of the vehicle. Now I
> use it to mount the E-Pass on it and because it has a thermometer in it.

Ideal location for a 'Wink' or panoramic mirror.
Old October 25th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Bob Jones wrote:
> "Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> Why are you dangerous?
>>>

>> Kind of amusing... About the only use for an interior rear view mirror is
>> to spot the cop that's chasin' you or the clown about to rear end you. In
>> either case, there won't be much that you can do about it.
>>
>> I agree, side view mirrors are far more valuable for pertinent
>> information.
>>
>> JT

> I drive a coupe with rear wiper. It is quite useless.

My ancient automatic Civic has a rear wiper/washer that actually still
works but it's just something else that will break. I could well do
without either.

JT
Old October 25th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Bob Jones" > wrote in
> :

>>> Kind of amusing... About the only use for an interior rear view
>>> mirror is to spot the cop that's chasin' you or the clown about to
>>> rear end you. In either case, there won't be much that you can do
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> I agree, side view mirrors are far more valuable for pertinent
>>> information.
>>>
>>> JT

>> I drive a coupe with rear wiper. It is quite useless.
>>

> You must not live in an area where the rear window gets dew or rain on it.
>
> When I drive my wife's Tercel (which is a sedan), I really miss the rear
> view the Integra's rear wiper gives.

What????

Her car is not under cover?????

You're livin' on dangerous ground...

<G>

JT
Old October 25th 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:

>> When I drive my wife's Tercel (which is a sedan), I really miss the
>> rear view the Integra's rear wiper gives.

> What????
>
> Her car is not under cover?????
>
> You're livin' on dangerous ground...

Oh, it IS undercover. It's cleverly disguised as a Toyota when it's really
a Tercel.

> <G>

Back at ya.

Old October 26th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Stewart[_3_]

"Brian Smith" > wrote in message
> Stewart wrote:
>>
>> Might as well do away with it.

> In the past I have taken the inside mirror out of the vehicle. Now I
> use it to mount the E-Pass on it and because it has a thermometer in
> it.

I meant the window.

rear wiper sofi Honda 0 July 29th 06 03:33 PM
Rear wiper Carl Jeep 1 January 1st 06 06:08 PM
Rear Wiper Motor CaravanGuy Chrysler 5 May 14th 05 01:15 AM
rear wiper Tj99jeep Jeep 0 January 20th 05 04:24 AM
99 Explorer Rear Wiper Arm dblanton Ford Explorer 1 December 28th 04 02:29 PM