Brake servicing FAQ page update...

Old May 18th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Tegger

Default Brake servicing FAQ page update...

Nick <> wrote in news
> What components do you put the anti-seize on? I only put this on the
> two caliper bolts.

I hope you don't mean the ones that have the rubber boots.

> For the shims of the brake pads I only use the
> Molykote which is supplied with the OEM pads.

And as I keep pointing out, not all models' pads come with shims or
Molykote.

> I have yet to have this
> happen on my rotors and they have 116k miles on them.

Good for you.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 18th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Nick

On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:06:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
wrote:

>Nick <> wrote in news >
>> What components do you put the anti-seize on? I only put this on the
>> two caliper bolts.

>I hope you don't mean the ones that have the rubber boots.

Yep those are the ones. I find it very difficult to get the bolts off
without applying it.

Old May 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
> wrote in news:EMP2i.7464$vu2.228@trndny01:

>>>I see what you mean.
>>>
>>>I'm getting told by independent distributors that the smallest
>>>container Dow sells is a 33oz tub...at $247 Cdn.
>>>
>>>My local Acura dealer can sell me a 75g tube (2.5 oz) for $66. They
>>>get their M77 directly from Honda.

>>http://www.usededmonton.com/classifi...=miscellaneous
>>-for-sale
>>

> Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.
>
> Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it for a
> reason...

Ha! Here's a life time supply of the stuff...

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...10&Tab=Vendors

JT

Old May 18th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> "Brian Smith" > wrote in news:5E33i.22454
> $V75.3804@edtnps89:
>

>>"Tegger" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Tried that. Doesn't work if the pads are bad.

>> Interesting.
>>

> I tried and failed to take descriptive photos of my rear discs, whose
> friction surfaces resemble the dark gray coating worn by a rifle barrel.
>
> The fronts had patchy glaze, where the outline of the pads was imprinted
> over and over again in an irregular pattern around the disc, some lighter,
> some heavier.
>
> I had some serious front brake vibration. A check with a dial gauge showed
> the discs to be dead true, and yet I had a high-speed vibration. The only
> conclusion I can come to at this point (surely to be opposed by some
> others...) is that the glaze caused sufficient frictional differences as to
> cause steering wheel wobble ("vibration").

I remember years ago when a friend had an obvious rotor pulse.
Machining the rotors made no difference. Changing pads and replacing
rotors still made no difference.

The whole problem disapeared when he bought a new set of tires...

<shrug>

JT

(Who thinks gearheading leads to unbalanced thinking...sometimes.)
Old May 18th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:46:59 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= > wrote
> in news:K6_2i.7490$4a1.7359@trndny07:

>>> Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.
>>>
>>> Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it
>>> for a reason...

>> That stuff is harder than HELL to find, and doesn't seem to be sold in
>> the US!

> It is. Click he
> <http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?country=USA&R=25EN>
>
> Click on "Find a Distributor" and choose your state.

Everytime I try to go to dowcorning.com, I get a "server error"! WTF?

Old May 19th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
>> wrote in news:EMP2i.7464$vu2.228@trndny01:

>>>http://www.usededmonton.com/classifi...y=miscellaneou
>>>s -for-sale
>>>

>> Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.
>>
>> Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it
>> for a reason...
>>

> Ha! Here's a life time supply of the stuff...

<http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=410&Tab=Vendors>

Waaait a minute. That site lists a 496 gram tub. That's just over a pound,
or 17.5 oz.

For.... wait for it..........

$2,076.96

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!

Hey man, I've got better things to do with two thousand dollars.
Cocaine is probably cheaper.

Old May 19th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Michael Pardee

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
>> wrote in news:EMP2i.7464$vu2.228@trndny01:

>>>http://www.usededmonton.com/classifi...=miscellaneous
>>>-for-sale
>>>

>> Cool. But that can looks like it's kinda old.
>>
>> Sure it's "new" government surplus, but the government got rid of it for
>> a reason...
>>

> Ha! Here's a life time supply of the stuff...
>

> http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...10&Tab=Vendors
>

> JT

Dude! One+ lb buckets! I see it's a whole lot cheaper if you buy three....

Mike

Old May 19th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Tegger

Nick <> wrote in :

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:06:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>
>>Nick <> wrote in news >>
>>> What components do you put the anti-seize on? I only put this on the
>>> two caliper bolts.

>>I hope you don't mean the ones that have the rubber boots.

> Yep those are the ones. I find it very difficult to get the bolts off
> without applying it.

Really? I wonder why? In sixteen years I've never had a problem with
removing the bolts from the pins. Usually the problem is removing the pins
from the pad mount bracket, that being unrelated to the use of anti-seize.

Anti-seizes are petroleum-based and will rot your rubber pin boots.

Old May 19th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Tegger

wrote in news:QBp3i.4536$xu.3374@trndny07:

> Everytime I try to go to dowcorning.com, I get a "server error"! WTF?

Try the simple approach, grasshopper.

http://www.dowcorning.com/

Navigate to the holy M77 page from there.

Does that help?

Old May 19th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.acura
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Sat, 19 May 2007 01:05:09 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Nick <> wrote in :
>

>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:06:33 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Nick <> wrote in news >>>
>>>

>>>I hope you don't mean the ones that have the rubber boots.

>> Yep those are the ones. I find it very difficult to get the bolts off
>> without applying it.

> Really? I wonder why? In sixteen years I've never had a problem with
> removing the bolts from the pins. Usually the problem is removing the pins
> from the pad mount bracket, that being unrelated to the use of anti-seize.
>
> Anti-seizes are petroleum-based and will rot your rubber pin boots.

(Now he tells me...I use it on the slides...)