My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid

Old November 28th 04, 04:10 AM
Gary Gorbet

In article >, muzz
> wrote:

> I have read several posts about the Civic hybrid. We have had ours for
> a year now.After a thousand miles, with the a/c off, I was averaging
> 34 mpg. I took it back to the dealer and complained. They said that
> since it only had 1000 miles, the mileage figure was not what is to be
> expected, and after a good break-in (he suggested 4000 miles), we
> should be getting close to the EPA 46/48. We therefore drove the Civic
> on a 2000 mile interstate trip to get the mileage up. We averaged 40.6
> on the interstate trip. We now have almost 5000 miles on the car, and
> the last two tanks averaged 33 mpg. I think that is ridiculous. If we
> were getting 43, I would feel scammed, but good night, 33? It's
> really a crime. Can't wait to see what the dealer says when I take it
> back in a few weeks for service.
>
> I also get very disgusted when some say that it's the way people drive
> that is the problem. We live in flat-land and drive it normally
> without rabbit starts etc. 33 is disgusting.

The 34 mpg and 33 mpg is certainly cause for concern. But I think that
you must have something wrong with your particular car. I've had my
2003 Civic hybrid for well over a year. I average just at 40 mpg. The
vast majority of the miles are stop and go traffic on the 20 minute
drive to and from work.

I definitely do not think - as others on this thread have opined - that
the hybrid is a "scam". I have thoroughly enjoyed driving mine and have
had zero problems. There have been articles explaining that EPA tests
are not well suited to judging real-world performance of hybrids. I
admit to being somewhat disappointed that I'm not getting in the mid
40's. Still, for the kind of driving I do, 40 mpg is not bad - it's
twice what I was getting with the Mazda I had before.

I hope you can find an answer from the dealer or elsewhere as to why
your car is doing so poorly in the mileage department.
Old November 28th 04, 05:44 AM

Gary Gorbet > wrote:
> The 34 mpg and 33 mpg is certainly cause for concern. But I think that
> you must have something wrong with your particular car. I've had my
> 2003 Civic hybrid for well over a year. I average just at 40 mpg. The
> vast majority of the miles are stop and go traffic on the 20 minute
> drive to and from work.

There have been low mileage Hybrid posters in the past, and I asked some
pointed technical questions trying to narrow down a vehicle defect, and I
don't think I've seen much response.

Maybe someone is looking for commiseration, not help.

There was a fairly long thread that didn't have a resolution posted
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D299522E
post #18 has a few troubleshooting questions geared for someone who used to
get better mileage.

I'm not sure where to start with someone who has never gotten good mileage.

I think the most likely culprit is staying with a high speed flow of
traffic, instead of cruising. The "average" mileage display, reset on the
freeway, should be right around 50mpg at 65-70 mph cruise.

--
---

Old November 28th 04, 05:44 AM

Old November 28th 04, 05:44 AM
SoCalMike

Gary Gorbet wrote:

> I definitely do not think - as others on this thread have opined - that
> the hybrid is a "scam".

its not a "scam"- the technology is real and it works. but it works best
in stop and go city traffic.

but for people already used to small cars with good economy, it probably
isnt worth trading in.
Old November 28th 04, 05:44 AM
SoCalMike

MPG of Civic Hybrid SoCalMike Honda 7 December 27th 04 07:32 PM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Honda Civic Overperformance Me Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:25 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM