2006 accord? difference between EX and LX?

Old August 21st 05, 07:52 AM
SoCalMike

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your replies.. I was still a little confused by your
>> replies. You guys vehemently oppose extended warranties, but is it
>> really a bad idea to have everything in your car covered for a $1000
>> more bucks?

> It's not bad, per se, but it's a losing proposition for buyers
> financially. Ultimately it's your car & your $$$, so do whatever lets
> you sleep better.

and if you are going to go that route, best to pay for it seperately.
say for the sake of argument you can only get a loan with 10% interest.
that $1000 warranty becomes a $1500 warranty over 5 years. and the first
3 years are covered anyway.
Old August 21st 05, 06:31 PM
Dave L

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Elmo P. Shagnasty for your reply. I am exactly in that position
> which is why I am contemplating the warranty and was wondering how much
> would it cost?
>
> I am looking at either brand new accords or used models from 2004 or
> 2003 with under 20K miles on them. Was there a problem with the V4's
> also or only the V6's till mid 2004?
>
> I understand that it doesn't matter if I buy the '05 or the '06. My
> question is, is it the best time RIGHT NOW to get the best deals or
> wait till sometime in September to get the best deals?
>
> Sorry for the repeated questions, but I am really an amateur in this
> field and could use all the help I could get!
>
> Thanks

I was in a similar situation you're in right now. The longer you wait, the
less choice you have in color, etc. Hondas normally do not have many or any
factory options to choose from - only dealer options. I hear the '06
Accords will have some differences in body panels, etc - mainly cosmetic.

Have purchased used cars in the past and on the urging of others decided to
bite the bullet and buy new this time. You don't have to wonder/worry about
the previous maintenance or history on the vehicle - piece of mind.

I just picked up an '05 Accord LX 5-speed (had to have SOME fun driving!)
The finance mgr was trying to push many different warranties and oil change
options. I didn't take any of them. Salesman was excellent. Also found
out through a relative to call Geico - they automatically extend the
warranty to 100k miles/10 years on a new car. Not sure on the 10 year
part - might be 7 or something. I decided not to do the Geico thing - read
too many negative things about them, and am perfectly happy w/current auto
insurance.

I plan on keeping this car for a while and hopefully the Honda beancounters
didn't hurt this car! I think most problems will rear it's head within the
warranty period.

Differences between the LX and EX models - the EX adds the 6-disc in dash
changer, 16" alloy wheels, sunroof and 4-wheel disc brakes. Those are the
major differences. I would have loved those options but had to keep costs
down - hence the LX.

If you can, check the websites of your local Honda dealerships to see what
they currently have in stock. Go to different ones and see what the best
price you can negotiate with each one, and don't forget about the service
you're receiving. I'm more inclined to give my business to the non-pushy
salesman who might be a fifty bucks more than the greaseball salesman that I
don't trust/like. I was also shopping for about a month before I purchased,
so I had an advantage - I wasn't desperate.

Good luck!
-Dave

Old August 21st 05, 07:18 PM
jim beam

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> jim beam > wrote:
>

>>the extended warranties are practically worthless. read the fine print.
>> they do not cover anything that wears out, they do not cover labor
>>[typically], they just "cover" major items that never fail like
>>crankshafts, and even then, it's latent defects, not wear.

> You're not speaking from a position of having read the HondaCare
> contract, are you.
>
> No, you're not.

you're right, i haven't. but i've read ford, and it's practically
worthless. admittedly, ford is not honda. yet.

the fact still remains however that you would not be able to buy an
extended warranty if there was any statistical liklihood of you
benefitting from it!

Old August 21st 05, 09:58 PM
SoCalMike

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dave L" > wrote:
>

>>Differences between the LX and EX models - the EX adds the 6-disc in dash
>>changer, 16" alloy wheels, sunroof and 4-wheel disc brakes.

> And you can add the CD changer and the wheels to your LX, should you
> choose.

i wonder if hed get "credit" for the unused wheels/tires and stereo. or
is the disc part an add-on?
Old August 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Dave L

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dave L" > wrote:
>
>> Differences between the LX and EX models - the EX adds the 6-disc in dash
>> changer, 16" alloy wheels, sunroof and 4-wheel disc brakes.

> And you can add the CD changer and the wheels to your LX, should you
> choose.

Very true, but other priorities come first. If I didn't get them now I
doubt I'll add them later - unless an offer I can't refuse came along.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:13 AM

Precisely Dave. I totally agree with you. Just want to say THANK YOU
VERY MUCh too all of you who have so generously willed to help me out
with my car buying dilema!

Now since I am in the last part of my transactions, I put forth one
more question to you. I am getting a 2004 Accord EX (with navigation
and leather trim, dual power seats, 6 CD changer and all the other
standard features). The car currently has 17000 miles on it and I went
to see it today is in very good condition; immaculate really. It has
the standard three year honda warranty on it. The guy is willing to
part with it for 18500

What do you guys think of the deal? I also went to a couple of
dealerships today and they quoted me in the range of 23800 - 24600 for
a new '05 with the above-mentioned options but figured I am saving
close to 7000 buy getting it used.

Also lastly, what is the "premium sound" option that kbb.com offers
while checking car prices? And any idea if it came standard with a
2004 Accord EXL V4?

Thank you very much!

Old August 23rd 05, 01:58 AM
Dave L

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Precisely Dave. I totally agree with you. Just want to say THANK YOU
> VERY MUCh too all of you who have so generously willed to help me out
> with my car buying dilema!
>
> Now since I am in the last part of my transactions, I put forth one
> more question to you. I am getting a 2004 Accord EX (with navigation
> and leather trim, dual power seats, 6 CD changer and all the other
> standard features). The car currently has 17000 miles on it and I went
> to see it today is in very good condition; immaculate really. It has
> the standard three year honda warranty on it. The guy is willing to
> part with it for 18500
>
> What do you guys think of the deal? I also went to a couple of
> dealerships today and they quoted me in the range of 23800 - 24600 for
> a new '05 with the above-mentioned options but figured I am saving
> close to 7000 buy getting it used.
>
> Also lastly, what is the "premium sound" option that kbb.com offers
> while checking car prices? And any idea if it came standard with a
> 2004 Accord EXL V4?
>
> Thank you very much!

I know the EX is normally about 2k more than the LX, unless you start going
with the V6 option. I picked up an '05 LX 5-speed for a touch under 17k
(including destination charge but before tax and tags). They had a few of
these on the lot and probably needed to unload them quick with the '06
coming in soon. I normally get a car at least a few years old - however I'm
happy with my decision.

Good luck - the Accord is a great car!

-Dave