TPMS ?

Old September 22nd 11, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default TPMS ?

Hi,

Will be bringing car in to have tires rotated, and thought it might be a
good idea to know something about this first:

Re TPMS and tire rotation:

a. does the monitor go with the tire it is in now, or must the rubber be
taken off the rim to get at the sensor, and thus be able to move it to
the new tire that is going on that side ?

Or, is there some computer setting, that they presumably know how to
re-set, to account for the new arrangement ?

Or,... ?

BTW: what is the general accuracy of this sensor/system ?

How is tire rotation and the TPMS sensors handled, please ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old September 22nd 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Will be bringing car in to have tires rotated, and thought it might be a
> good idea to know something about this first:
>
> Re TPMS and tire rotation:
>
> a. does the monitor go with the tire it is in now, or must the rubber be
> taken off the rim to get at the sensor, and thus be able to move it to the
> new tire that is going on that side ?
>
> Or, is there some computer setting, that they presumably know how to
> re-set, to account for the new arrangement ?
>
> Or,... ?
>
> BTW: what is the general accuracy of this sensor/system ?
>
> How is tire rotation and the TPMS sensors handled, please ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Please mention what sort of car you have.. There have been
different systems employed. Mine has the sensor inside the
wheel. Easily serviced if needed, when the tire is off the rim.

The system can be reset without having to mess with the sensor
directly.

Old September 24th 11, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause

"Bob" wrote:

> Will be bringing car in to have tires rotated, and thought it might be a
> good idea to know something about this first:
>
> Re TPMS and tire rotation:
>
> a. does the monitor go with the tire it is in now, or must the rubber be
> taken off the rim to get at the sensor, and thus be able to move it to
> the new tire that is going on that side ?

The sensor stays with the *wheel*, normally attached to the valve stem
inside the tire where you can't see it, though a few rare cars have it
strapped to the "drop center" of the wheel. You don't normally need to
touch the sensors for a simple rotation.

> Or, is there some computer setting, that they presumably know how to
> re-set, to account for the new arrangement ?

Depends on what you're driving.

Some cars don't care where the wheels are, and will automatically
"re-learn" once they're in place and you drive away.

One customer's Caddy needs to be put into "learn" mode, then the air
pressure lowered (or raised) on each tire in turn, until the horn beeps,
meaning "next tire, please".

Another's Ford is also put into "learn" mode, then a magnet is held close
to the valve stem until the horn beeps, "next tire, please".

Some cars (I think it's newer Toyotas) have the serial number of each sensor
programmed into the TMPS computer, along with the position on the car.
Any sensor replacement or movement (IE: rotation) needs a special radio-
frequency scanner to get the serial numbers from the sensors, then reprogram
the computer with the "valid" serial numbers and their new locations.

tpms, vsa, sensor IDs, reset tools for tpms Guy[_2_] Honda 19 January 13th 10 12:19 AM
TPMS tools? bill Technology 5 November 1st 08 06:27 PM
TPMS Continued alfred[_3_] Honda 6 January 31st 08 02:37 PM
Location of TPMS Antenna utahbuck Corvette 1 December 16th 06 12:27 AM
Is TPMS availalble in A3's anywhere? Doug Warner Audi 1 February 23rd 06 09:09 AM