Subaru dropping out of gear

Old September 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hurricane

Default Subaru dropping out of gear

Our '98 Legacy Outback Wagon (110,000 miles) has started to
occasionally drop
out of gear and into neutral. I'll just be driving along and Whoops! -
it's in neutral. I usually have to shift it back to neutral and into
gear again a couple of time to get it to engage. Has anyone
else had this experience? Any advice?

Old September 6th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Hurricane wrote:
> Our '98 Legacy Outback Wagon (110,000 miles) has started to
> occasionally drop
> out of gear and into neutral. I'll just be driving along and Whoops! -
> it's in neutral. I usually have to shift it back to neutral and into
> gear again a couple of time to get it to engage. Has anyone
> else had this experience? Any advice?

Standard or Automagic?

Old September 6th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hurricane

Sorry phaeton - automatic.

Old September 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Do you have a radio transmitter like a CB on board? I know the antenna
output and power lines from these can make the shift computers go insane
on some vehicles if they are too close to it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 6th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Hurricane wrote:
> Sorry phaeton - automatic.

Assuming the fluid level is fine- what does it look like? Any foam,
weird coloration, water, dead animals?

When it 'pops out of gear' is there anything consistent about the
throttle position? I.e., during acceleration only, cruise only, or
engine braking?

When it 'pops out of gear', does it ever go back in if you come to a
complete stop and just sit there with the engine idling? How about if
you rev the engine a tad?

When it goes back in, does it shudder or is it an otherwise 'normal'
engagement?

:-)

-phaeton

Old September 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hurricane

Thanks Mike. No CB - just the stock CD player.

Old September 7th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hurricane

I haven't checked the fluid, but I will as soon as I get home. We
recently had the "differential seal" replaced ($500) and I believe it
involved pulling the transmission. Normally I would have assumed it was
related, but this problem occurred a few times about a year ago as
well.

It only drops out of gear when going through first or second, usually
after a stop or when entering a highway (yeek!). And it only goes back
in gear after moving the shifter to neutral and back to "Drive" a few
times. When it does get back in gear, seems to engage normally (no
ginding). I don't believe it has ever gone back into gear when just
idling.

phaeton wrote:
> Hurricane wrote:
> > Sorry phaeton - automatic.
> >

> Assuming the fluid level is fine- what does it look like? Any foam,
> weird coloration, water, dead animals?
>
> When it 'pops out of gear' is there anything consistent about the
> throttle position? I.e., during acceleration only, cruise only, or
> engine braking?
>
> When it 'pops out of gear', does it ever go back in if you come to a
> complete stop and just sit there with the engine idling? How about if
> you rev the engine a tad?
>
> When it goes back in, does it shudder or is it an otherwise 'normal'
> engagement?
>
> :-)
>
> -phaeton

AWA [OFFER] <Stock clearance sale for UD nissan genuine parts!!!> [email protected] General 1 February 24th 16 01:34 PM
Gear Ratios Dad Corvette 5 March 25th 06 06:23 PM
How to remove/reinstall crankshaft timing gear Ryan Underwood Technology 12 August 8th 05 08:57 PM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM