VAG-COM required? Flushing the brake fluid-ABS MARK 60

Old May 5th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default VAG-COM required? Flushing the brake fluid-ABS MARK 60

I found this note as part of the procedure in my Bentley manual-CD

"AFTER BLEEDING THE SYSTEM, PERFORM A ZERO COMPENSATION OF THE BRAKE
PRESSURE SENDER -1--G201"

implying that the Scan tool is required in order to perform this
operation after using a pressure bleeder to bleed/flush the brake fluid
in my 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed.

I searched net but I could not find any reference to other people using
VAG-COM or the volkswagen tool after bleeing their brakes.

Does anyone have more information about what this does or why it is
required? I assume I cannot do this with my shareware version of
VAG-COM. Kind of a bummer - this job is easier on my slightly older VWs.

Old May 5th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Mark" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I found this note as part of the procedure in my Bentley manual-CD
>
> "AFTER BLEEDING THE SYSTEM, PERFORM A ZERO COMPENSATION OF THE BRAKE
> PRESSURE SENDER -1--G201"
>
> implying that the Scan tool is required in order to perform this
> operation after using a pressure bleeder to bleed/flush the brake fluid
> in my 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed.
>
> I searched net but I could not find any reference to other people using
> VAG-COM or the volkswagen tool after bleeing their brakes.
>
> Does anyone have more information about what this does or why it is
> required? I assume I cannot do this with my shareware version of
> VAG-COM. Kind of a bummer - this job is easier on my slightly older VWs.

you can only change settings using a registered version of the
software.........

Old May 5th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Yes. That is true that the freeware scan tool can only read codes. I
can borrow a full-featured VAG-COM unit but I am unsure how this 'zero
compensation' would be performed even if I had the tool and found this
to be necessary. The manual does not explain very well. There is some
langauge in the manual indicating that the scan tool is only required
if one or more portions of the brake system have been emptied but it is
not explicitly stated that this function of 'calibrating' the pressure
sender is not required except in this case.

in the instructions for the older MARK 20 ABS system this note is not
made at all. I do not know when the switch from MARK 20 was made to
MARK 60 and the manual does not indicate when it was changed. I know
by inspection that I have the newer system because the Bentley explains
how to identify the MARK 60 by appearance. I expect VAG-COM will also
tell me when I hook it up.

StsAlive wrote:
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I found this note as part of the procedure in my Bentley manual-CD
> >
> > "AFTER BLEEDING THE SYSTEM, PERFORM A ZERO COMPENSATION OF THE BRAKE
> > PRESSURE SENDER -1--G201"
> >
> > implying that the Scan tool is required in order to perform this
> > operation after using a pressure bleeder to bleed/flush the brake fluid
> > in my 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed.
> >
> > I searched net but I could not find any reference to other people using
> > VAG-COM or the volkswagen tool after bleeing their brakes.
> >
> > Does anyone have more information about what this does or why it is
> > required? I assume I cannot do this with my shareware version of
> > VAG-COM. Kind of a bummer - this job is easier on my slightly older VWs.
> >

> you can only change settings using a registered version of the
> software.........

Q: 2001 Corolla - PB, PS fluid change interval? Bubba Bubbs Technology 3 April 12th 06 05:41 AM
DOT 3 Brake Fluid D.D. Pallmer Ford Explorer 2 February 24th 06 05:29 AM
Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 09:06 PM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 04:21 AM