Problem with heat and it's the coldest of the year..

Old January 6th 05, 01:50 AM
Sid Daley

Default Problem with heat and it's the coldest of the year..

1992 Suzuki Swift, about a year back the fan stopped working at all but
the max speed. I was fine with that because I had heat, the other day it
stopped working entirely. I checked the fuses and their was a 15amp
blown, so I changed that and it worked again. Now it has stopped working
totally and the fuse is good???

There is still heat when the car is moving but no fan.

Thanks
Sid
Old January 6th 05, 01:56 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:50:20 GMT, Sid Daley >
wrote:

>1992 Suzuki Swift, about a year back the fan stopped working at all but
>the max speed. I was fine with that because I had heat, the other day it
>stopped working entirely. I checked the fuses and their was a 15amp
>blown, so I changed that and it worked again. Now it has stopped working
>totally and the fuse is good???
>
>There is still heat when the car is moving but no fan.
>

>Thanks
>Sid

You blew the fuse because the fan motor was pulling too much current.
Something in it, field armature shorting out with stator, or
something, is defective about that motor. Something is wrong with
that electric motor, but I can't test it so we just mention it in
general terms.

If you want to solve this problem, you will replace the motor, or
remove it and attempt to repair it. I don't put much stock in trying
to repair it, so plan on replacing it.

OR, your wiring to the motor was short circuited B+ to ground, but the
chance of that is too remote to take seriously. I think you just need
a new fan motor.

Nothing worked but the Max Speed because it was only at Max Current
that you could spin the thing. Bearing might be shot, causing the
motor not to turn at all, causing rotor to rub against stator, and
then there you have it, toast.

Lg

Old January 6th 05, 04:50 PM
Mike Romain

That sounds like you will need a new fan motor and a new resistor pack.

The resistor pack controls the low speeds. High is a direct line
usually.

Because it first burned out the resistors, then the fuse, then quit, I
would suspect a dead fan motor.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 6th 05, 05:22 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:16:54 GMT, Sid Daley >
wrote:

>I was thinking the fan motor myself, it appears to have the fan
>under the dash. Do either of you guys have any idea of the work required
>to pull the fan motor?

Not really (no). Make and model of car / truck will determine how
much hell you'll have to go through. But this is definitely DIY
material, once you get the new part.

No doubt you will have to remove some inside duct work to get at it.
That is probably the hard part. Once you get that stuff out of the
way, it should be pretty straightforward.

Lg

Old January 6th 05, 05:41 PM
Mike Romain

I have never had one apart, sorry. If it is inside then sometimes the
whole freaking dash has to come off. Some are made to pull the heater
box easy, most aren't.

Even a cheapie repair book like the Haynes will have decent enough
directions on how to change it and where things like the resistor pack
are located. I think it is worth the twenty bucks.

If you can find the power wire for the fan, I would first be putting 12
volts to it to see if it is actually dead before ripping into it. Your
switch 'might' just have worn out, but the symptoms imply a dead fan.

Mike