Fi What Went Wrong?

Old August 20th 04, 05:53 AM
Jonnie Santos

Default Fi What Went Wrong?

My 97SL2 with about 92k on the odo started running really rough out of the
blue tonight. I had driven only a couple of miles after work when the prob
started. I stopped and checked the ignition cables (acted like it was
running on 3 cyls). I restarted the car, and tried to drive it to my Saturn
dealer a couple of miles away. Within a few blocks of my dealer smoke
started coming out the back of the car and then inside the cabin through the
vents.

I pulled into a Shell gas station and when I got out to open the hood, I saw
fire under the car around the catalytic converter. When I opened the hood
the there were small flames at the back and bottom of the engine bay. The
exhaust pipe below the exhaust manifold was glowing orange. When I looked
back into the cabin the smoke was thicker and flames were coming through the
floor next to the firewall and behind the center console where the radio and
HVAC controls are.

No one including me had a fire extinguisher, and I had to buy a quart bottle
of water and tried to put the flames out. Finally the kid at the gas
station found a bucket and was filling it with water. I freaked, called
911, the Fire Dept showed up right before something in the cab went bang and
extinguished most of the flames. The firemen put the remaining fire out.

The tow truck driver said he thought it would cost more to repair than the
car is worth.

The whole thing makes me sick - and I've always kept the car looking and
performing really good.

So... other than never trying to drive a poorly running car someplace to
get fixed again, what the hell happened?

Old August 20th 04, 11:53 AM
jdoe

The cat conv. probably clogged or the substrate came apart and blocked it.
Another thing if one cyl. wasn't firing and raw gasoline was going into the
cat this too could have caused it to get red hot. Try not tho feel too bad.
Similar thing happened to my bros' Grand Am a couple years back. He was
driving the car all day ( a few starts and stops) anyway on his last
consultation he went to start it and it just whirred. Next thin he knew he
heard a whoosh and flames were shooting out from under the hood and around
the fenders. Anyway immediate total loss. Went compltely in about 30 sec. He
said he was VERY lucky since had this happened a few starts earlier it would
have been in his garage.
Larry

Old August 20th 04, 12:28 PM
Dana Rohleder

You didn't do anything wrong - bad things can happen to good people. A
clogged catalytic converter is one of the few common failures that can
easily cause a fire. Did you have any warning lights prior to the rough
engine? If so, excess gasoline into the cat could have caused the cat to
overheat and fail, but otherwise, just chalk it up to bad luck. Luckily, you
were close to home - imagine if you were out in Hell's Half Acre when it
happened or if it were parked in your attached garage!! Things could always
be worse - those are the things that happen to ME! Hope you had some
insurance...
--
Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
we."
G.W. Bush - Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Old August 21st 04, 05:09 AM
Jonnie Santos

Thanks much for the insight - I'm surprised there's not a sensor on the cat
that shuts the engine off if cat temps exceed a set number. You brother's
experience was scary (the speed at which it enveloped the car especially) -
good point about not being in the garage too. Scary.

Old August 21st 04, 05:22 AM
Jonnie Santos

Yes, you're perfectly logical and I appreciate the input.

The Service Engine Soon light came on and went off. I thought it was just
an emission warning or some sensor failed. No way did I think I would
permanently hurt the engine/car, much less cause a fire because it was
running so rough. And I thought (probably illogically) that since the car
has a computer to control some engine functions, it surely would shut itself
down if something like a failing cat was going super nova...

My insurance company is having it towed to their yard and will have a look
at it Monday or Tuesday. I'll go from there. www.kbb.com says its retail
value is $5,300. I don't know if they'll do that or use the lower trade in
value less my deductible.

We have a state lottery here in Calif and it will be $59,000,000 on Saturday
(and I already have my ticket!!).

Old August 21st 04, 05:31 AM
Ratbert

Jonnie Santos wrote:
> We have a state lottery here in Calif and it will be $59,000,000 on Saturday
> (and I already have my ticket!!).

Ah, the lottery! The tax for people who are bad at math. Thanks for
helping to fund education, so we can keep our taxes low. Well, low for
a state as liberal this, anyway. LOL
Old August 23rd 04, 02:40 PM
Oppie

"Jonnie Santos" > wrote in message
> My 97SL2 with about 92k on the odo started running really rough out of the
> blue tonight. I had driven only a couple of miles after work when the

prob
> started. I stopped and checked the ignition cables (acted like it was
> running on 3 cyls).

Keep in mind that on any catalytic converter equipped engine, as long as the
cat is still functioning, any misfire will put unburnt fuel into the exhaust
and will likely be burnt in the cat. This usually causes an extremely high
operating temperature which is likely to ignite any accumulated oil and
grime nearby. Most owner's manuals have specific instructions about fire
hazards due to a poorly running engine. Shop manuals usually tell you for
testing to only disconnect a spark plug for a short time... same reason.

Sorry for the troubles but glad that you are still OK.
Oppie

Old August 26th 04, 03:58 AM
Dave

Let's all hope Jonnie buys another Saturn. Hard to imagine this newsgroup
without one of it's most frequent andhelpful posters!

Old August 26th 04, 04:45 AM
Jonnie Santos

Thanks! ...this NG has been a large part of an overall positive experience.
Some great people who take time out of their day to freely offer advice or
input or even a laugh or two is just so unusual (I think) these days.

Tomorrow (Thursday) will be a week since the fire and I haven't heard back
from the insurance adjuster about what they're going to do - guess I'll give
them a call.

....still odd to look in the driveway and not see my SL-2.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:25 PM
Oppie

"Jonnie Santos" > wrote in message
news1dXc.43950$yh.22161@fed1read05...
> Thanks! ...this NG has been a large part of an overall positive

experience.
> Some great people who take time out of their day to freely offer advice or
> input or even a laugh or two is just so unusual (I think) these days.
>
> Tomorrow (Thursday) will be a week since the fire and I haven't heard back
> from the insurance adjuster about what they're going to do - guess I'll

give
> them a call.
>
> ...still odd to look in the driveway and not see my SL-2.

When was it that Skylab fell out of orbit and burned up on re-entry?
Somewhere about 1979 as I recall...
Shortly after that, my brother-in-law's station wagon caught fire and burnt
to a cinder (while the keystone cops and firefighters were deciding who's
jurisdiction the flaming mass was in). We had the remains towed to a shop
and when we went to check it out, somebody with a sense of humor had placed
a big sign on what was left of the windshield that read SKYLAB.Isn't it
wonderful how a little bit of humor can improve your whole outlook on an
otherwise miserable day?
Best wishes

In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM
mounted wrong size tires DC Honda 11 November 2nd 04 04:12 PM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Nobody knows what is wrong with my 99 Dodge Avenger v6 LadyGelzer04 Dodge 14 May 22nd 04 04:13 AM