UK A6 2.8Q Tip - Starting Prob

Old May 23rd 04, 10:42 AM
John West Berks

Default UK A6 2.8Q Tip - Starting Prob

Hi all, I have an 1999 A6 2.8 Quattro with Tiptronic. Ive had the car from
new. Now got 100k miles on the clock.

Couple of questions for the group.

1. What should I be looking at replacing with this kind of mileage on the
clock? (its full VAG service) I'm thinking here of shocks/coils etc The
kind of stuff that gets "tired" with age/mileage.

2. Has anyone any experience of an LPG conversion with this engine?

3. I have an intermittent cold start problem. I say intermittent, its
happened like 4 times in the life of the car, but it happened again
yesterday. Symptom: Car turns over on the starter but will not fire, does
not even splutter. Almost seems as if its turning with no plugs connected.
The first time it happened I called out RAC. As soon as he seen the car his
comment was, common problem and well known about. The cure by the way was
to floor the accelerator and hold, while cranking the engine for about 45
seconds non stop. Engine then coughs and fires into life and is fine after
that. I'm a bit worried about burning out the starter motor by keeping it
under load for so long, not to mention the huge drain on the battery.
Anyone have any similar trouble, and is there a fix? (VAG dealer said no
trouble codes when it was checked)

Reply to the group please.

Ta,
John.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:49 PM
TonyJ

Probebly leaking / dirty injectors causing flooding. Opening the
throttle puts more air through and clears it.

Try a bottle of Tekron fuel injector cleaner.

Old May 24th 04, 03:42 AM
Mike Whiteman

1. I just did mine at 112K huge improvement

3. Common problem. Temp sensor in rear of block.Bad connection or bad sensor
will cause car to turn over but not start.

Old May 24th 04, 08:31 PM
TonyJ

I would agree that the Temp sensor is probably a better thing to do
first before the Tecron that I suggested.