Recommendation for tire

Old February 1st 05, 06:49 AM
ppp-man

Default Recommendation for tire

Any recommendation for replacement of my stock Continentals?
P225/55-R16 95H

Old February 1st 05, 07:07 AM
trevors40

If you want the best high performance tires go Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
It's a bit pricey but you won't regret it.

Old February 1st 05, 02:04 PM
TonyK

"trevors40" > wrote in message
> If you want the best high performance tires go Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
> It's a bit pricey but you won't regret it.

You might, depends on the car and road conditions. PS2s are pretty poor when
cold so for stop start they don;t give best performance for a while. Also on
wet roads Pirelli PZero Rosso and Nero tend to give superior grip although
they wear more quickly. The turn in with Pirelli seems a little sharper for
longer, the PS2 can deteriorate rapidly once more than half worn.

Personally I'd go with Pirellis and just replace them more often, they are
after all a little cheaper so it sort of balances out.

All IME obviously.

Old February 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Corey Shuman

If you dont mind getting 20-30k miles out of a set of tires you should
look into some Kumhos. In theory you actually shouldnt have tires more
than a few years anyway. Anyway, Kumho makes really nice tire for
comfort and for hard driving. Soft compound with a good rigid sidewall.
And they are really inexpensive, ususally well under $100 per tire.

Old February 1st 05, 05:15 PM
The Malt Hound

"Corey Shuman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you dont mind getting 20-30k miles out of a set of tires you
> should
> look into some Kumhos. In theory you actually shouldnt have tires
> more
> than a few years anyway. Anyway, Kumho makes really nice tire for
> comfort and for hard driving. Soft compound with a good rigid
> sidewall.
> And they are really inexpensive, ususally well under $100 per tire.

My experience has not been that great with Kumhos. They are a good
value but they wear badly and do not stay round too well. They get
noisey as they wear.

The moral: You sometimes get what you pay for,
but you almost never get what you don't.

-Fred W

Old February 1st 05, 07:54 PM
Corey Shuman

Thats interesting, I have only run two sets, they were the AVS Sport
type tread but I had no prob with them going out of round or getting
loud? And the price seems fair to me, for what its worth 200-300 per
tire for some of these "extreme" sport tires is outrageous...
The moral of that being: a fool and his money are soon parted....

Old February 2nd 05, 02:16 AM
Dan Krueger

The Pilots are the best according to Tire Rack surveys but they are expensive as
hell as Tevor said. I paid a bundle to replace mine with Eagle F1's but I saved
a lot over the Pilots - nearly $200. Tire wear seems to be better. Handling
and traction are no better or worse. They have a bead of rubber that will
protect the rims (to a point) that I was happy to see after I bought them. I
paid about $US900 or so for all four but I have the sport package and the lower
profile tires. Runflats for the Corvette are only $1300 installed. I have
225/40/18's on the front and 255/35/18's on the rear.

Dan

Old February 3rd 05, 07:55 AM
trevors40

Yes, PS2s are really good in summer but as soon as the temperature drops
below 5 degress celcius I change to Pilot Alpin PA2.

Again the PA2's are quite expensive but allow high speed driving in winter
and damn are they quiet. The only one that will beat it is Dunlop
WinterSport.

Please note that there is no such thing as "best tire". It all depends on
your city's weather pattern, usage and your own style of driving.

As far as summer tires I have used Pirelli, Yokohama, Hankook, Dunlop ... I
have to say the PS2 gives you best performance especially when it comes to
high speed cornering.

As far as wear, no comment.

tyre recommendation AdrianR Mazda 1 December 4th 04 12:03 AM
V6 Accord Tire Recommendation Joe Peteh Honda 8 November 18th 04 07:25 PM
Red Line Oil Recommendation Drink Corvette 0 September 24th 04 05:52 PM
Subaru Outback Tire Recommendation Needed InfoQuest General 0 May 1st 04 07:23 PM