Looking at 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI

Old August 7th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AC[_2_]

Default Looking at 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI

Hi,

I'm looking to maybe buy a 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI.

Is the LXI the expensive model?
I'm hoping to get the most expensive model.

It has 126000 on a 6-Cylinder 2.5L engine. A timing belt, like
my 3.0L engine on my Lebaron, right? If it breaks, with it ruin
the valves?

What things are likely to break with that mileage.

He's asking $3875, in very good cosmetic condtion. Not sur e about
the engine. A fair price???

Lebarons can accept only a class one hitch, the smallest. Same thing
with Sebrings?

On a trip and I blew my engine. Staying in a motel until I get a car
to drive home. Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Old August 7th 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_24_]

not a car I would tow with

did you look it up on KBB.com and NADA.com for prices?

Old August 7th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/07/11 02:34 pm, AC wrote:

> I'm looking to maybe buy a 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI.
>
> Is the LXI the expensive model?
> I'm hoping to get the most expensive model.
>

> It has 126000 on a 6-Cylinder 2.5L engine. A timing belt, like
> my 3.0L engine on my Lebaron, right? If it breaks, with it ruin
> the valves?
>
> What things are likely to break with that mileage.
>
> He's asking $3875, in very good cosmetic condtion. Not sur e about
> the engine. A fair price???
>
> Lebarons can accept only a class one hitch, the smallest. Same thing
> with Sebrings?
>
> On a trip and I blew my engine. Staying in a motel until I get a car
> to drive home. Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.

I am guessing that this has the same (or similar) Mitsu****ty motor as
our '96 Dodge Stratus ES had. The timing belt was replaced at 60K milles
or thereabouts (when the water pump quit; at least, we paid to have the
timing belt replaced), and it broke at about 88K miles. The car was not
worth repairing. Even the charity to which we donated it (which runs an
auto-maintenance training program for recovering addicts) ended up
selling it to a wrecker rather than trying to fix it.

I would not touch it with a 40ft. pole, especially if you don't know
whether the timing belt has ever been replaced.

Perce
Old August 8th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AC[_2_]

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 16:30:07 -0400, "Rob" > wrote:

>not a car I would tow with

I'm just talking about a very light flatbed trailer, not a pop-up or
even a medium U-haul. . I towed a 4x8 flatbed trailer with my 95
lebaron from texas to Northern Virginia and couldnt' even tell it was
there, even going up hills, but it only acccepts a class one hitch.

I was hoping this would accept a class two hitch, which would let me
tow something a little bigger. The Toyotal Solara convertible
does, and I was hoping this would.

>did you look it up on KBB.com and NADA.com for prices?

No time to do that yet .

Is LXI the best model Sebring?

Does it sound like a fair price?

.. .

Old August 8th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AC[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 18:07:05 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> wrote:

>On 08/07/11 02:34 pm, AC wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to maybe buy a 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI.
>>
>> Is the LXI the expensive model?
>> I'm hoping to get the most expensive model.
>>

>> It has 126000 on a 6-Cylinder 2.5L engine. A timing belt, like
>> my 3.0L engine on my Lebaron, right? If it breaks, with it ruin
>> the valves?
>>
>> What things are likely to break with that mileage.
>>
>> He's asking $3875, in very good cosmetic condtion. Not sur e about
>> the engine. A fair price???
>>
>> Lebarons can accept only a class one hitch, the smallest. Same thing
>> with Sebrings?
>>
>> On a trip and I blew my engine. Staying in a motel until I get a car
>> to drive home. Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.

>I am guessing that this has the same (or similar) Mitsu****ty motor as
>our '96 Dodge Stratus ES had.

Was that a 2.5L engine?

> The timing belt was replaced at 60K milles
>or thereabouts (when the water pump quit; at least, we paid to have the
>timing belt replaced), and it broke at about 88K miles.

Strange.

> The car was not
>worth repairing. Even the charity to which we donated it (which runs an
>auto-maintenance training program for recovering addicts) ended up
>selling it to a wrecker rather than trying to fix it.
>
>I would not touch it with a 40ft. pole, especially if you don't know
>whether the timing belt has ever been replaced.

Not many good choices here.

Old August 8th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy

On 08/08/11 11:23 am, AC wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 18:07:05 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/11 02:34 pm, AC wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking to maybe buy a 98 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXI.
>>>
>>> Is the LXI the expensive model?
>>> I'm hoping to get the most expensive model.
>>>

>>> It has 126000 on a 6-Cylinder 2.5L engine. A timing belt, like
>>> my 3.0L engine on my Lebaron, right? If it breaks, with it ruin
>>> the valves?
>>>
>>> What things are likely to break with that mileage.
>>>
>>> He's asking $3875, in very good cosmetic condtion. Not sur e about
>>> the engine. A fair price???
>>>
>>> Lebarons can accept only a class one hitch, the smallest. Same thing
>>> with Sebrings?
>>>
>>> On a trip and I blew my engine. Staying in a motel until I get a car
>>> to drive home. Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot.

>> I am guessing that this has the same (or similar) Mitsu****ty motor as
>> our '96 Dodge Stratus ES had.

> Was that a 2.5L engine?

Yes. 2.5L V6.

>> The timing belt was replaced at 60K miles
>> or thereabouts (when the water pump quit; at least, we paid to have the
>> timing belt replaced), and it broke at about 88K miles.

> Strange.
>
>> The car was not
>> worth repairing. Even the charity to which we donated it (which runs an
>> auto-maintenance training program for recovering addicts) ended up
>> selling it to a wrecker rather than trying to fix it.
>>
>> I would not touch it with a 40ft. pole, especially if you don't know
>> whether the timing belt has ever been replaced.

> Not many good choices here.

Hope you make a choice that turns out OK.

Perce