Fighting Angelfish

Old June 8th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

Default Fighting Angelfish

I have 5 Angels in a 55gal tank. 3 zebras, 1 marble, & 1 golden. All
are healthy but are nasty SOB's. The marble & golden are especially
good looking & aggressive. The zebras are also nasty but often take a
beating (chunks missing from their sides).

When they're not fighting they're lining up to beg for food. They all
eat like pigs. I think I might have all or mostly males.

Could this be because I've mixed & matched angel types?
or is it just too much testosterone?
overstocking or poor aquascaping?

Any suggestions on who to remove (or not) and how to create some
order?

TIA
Old June 8th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

Because your an asshole thats why. Flush them all and sellthe
tank.....its frutile keeping fish without spening lots of time and
money to do so......

Old June 8th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

* PLONK ! *
Old June 8th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

bye dude....hehehehehehehe come back when you can stay
longer............but please wash first if you choose to return

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:46:33 GMT, Jolly Fisherman
wrote:

* PLONK ! *

Old June 9th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

"Jolly Fisherman" wrote in message
I have 5 Angels in a 55gal tank. 3 zebras, 1 marble, & 1 golden. All
are healthy but are nasty SOB's. The marble & golden are especially
good looking & aggressive. The zebras are also nasty but often take a
beating (chunks missing from their sides).

When they're not fighting they're lining up to beg for food. They all
eat like pigs. I think I might have all or mostly males.

Could this be because I've mixed & matched angel types?
or is it just too much testosterone?
overstocking or poor aquascaping?

Any suggestions on who to remove (or not) and how to create some
order?

TIA

Cut right back on the high protein food,, and just feed them "Flakes"

Old June 9th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:43:31 +1000, "bassett"
wrote:

Cut right back on the high protein food,, and just feed them "Flakes"

Yes. I've been feeding them exclusively good quality high protein
food. Will start adjusting that today. Thanks.

I've also moved the worst fighters to a different tank, although I'm
not happy about that being a permanent solution.

Do you think adding target fish make any sense?

Are there any particular guides you'd recommend that explain dealing
with aggressions?

Thanks for sticking with the group despite all the noise.
Old June 11th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

news
wrote:

Cut right back on the high protein food,, and just feed them "Flakes"

Yes. I've been feeding them exclusively good quality high protein
food. Will start adjusting that today. Thanks.

I've also moved the worst fighters to a different tank, although I'm
not happy about that being a permanent solution.

Do you think adding target fish make any sense?

Are there any particular guides you'd recommend that explain dealing
with aggressions?

Thanks for sticking with the group despite all the noise.

Most fish do strike a balance, or a feeding order, and once it's
established,, Everything will go along fine, but if you shift fish around
you upset that balance, then you have to wait for it to re-establish.

But I think the quality of the food is the answer to a peaceful tank, others
might have another solution.. I remember years ago, I thought I would have
a go at cichlids, and no matter what I did, I always ended up with a tank
full of ONE, due to high protein food
bassett

Old June 11th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:50:34 +1000, "bassett"
wrote:

Thanks for sticking with the group despite all the noise.

Most fish do strike a balance, or a feeding order, and once it's
established,, Everything will go along fine, but if you shift fish around
you upset that balance, then you have to wait for it to re-establish.

Well that's the problem. It seemed the balance was deteriorating.
stand-offs and attacks were getting more prolonged and vicious. My
most valuable golden who used to be able to throw his weight around is
no longer the clear & decisive intimidator against the fast-growing
marble. It's hard for me to sit on my hands when I dropped $25 on
the very handsome Golden.

Simply moving the 2 nastiest before any other changes were done
resulted in 2 instantly peaceful tanks. To a newbie this looks like a
great band aid. But I get you point. For one thing the move seems a
little stressful for the marble.

But I think the quality of the food is the answer to a peaceful tank, others
might have another solution.. I remember years ago, I thought I would have
a go at cichlids, and no matter what I did, I always ended up with a tank
full of ONE, due to high protein food
bassett

I really appreciate the tip. This is very interesting.

I also have read high temp also can exacerbate aggression. Tank was
81F. So I'm lowering it a little.

I think possibly another contributor is my plants are extremely
overgrown and the fish have gotten much bigger. It looks to me like
there are a few territories & safe places but not enough for all the
fish. A lot of fumbling into fights. Perhaps this is why removing 2
seemed to help instantly?

I'm probably screwing everything up moving them around and not having
time to take care of my plants (or maybe the plants & space have
nothing to do with it) but I've been planning on overhauling the
aquascape anyway. Hopefully it will eventually be a good thing to
shake things up before someone gets seriously hurt- and after the dust
settles a healthy balance will restore after everyone established new
territories and pecking order.

If their reunion is poor, should I consider target fish later? Frankly
I don't want 2 angel tanks right now, or to put down healthy fish, or
the injuries or disease than can occur by letting nature take its
course.

Thanks again.
Old June 11th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

What a prick

Old June 11th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:32:10 GMT, "Big Dummy"

I agree, Carol Gulley aka Koi lo is not knon for her compassion or
correct answers....

wrote:
What a prick

""Koi-Lo" " wrote in message :

Because your an asshole thats why. Flush them all and sellthe
tank.....its frutile keeping fish without spening lots of time and
money to do so......

Help ID Angelfish disease Capien General 12 May 6th 06 10:34 PM
Wobbly angelfish update Nikki Casali General 4 July 26th 05 03:06 AM
Angelfish with raw patches on its sides acting sick JamesG General 12 April 28th 05 10:25 AM
Mystery angelfish parasite/growth Dances With Ferrets Cichlids 2 November 30th 04 04:34 PM
lost angelfish James General 1 April 19th 04 06:57 PM