Average fuel consumption computer ?

Old December 20th 04, 11:42 AM
RideRT

Default Average fuel consumption computer ?

On an X5, one can monitor the outside temp, miles to empty, avge speed and
average fuel consumption.

Well mine is stuck, and has been for 2-3 months, at the same average fuel
comsumption, 39.5 li/100km - I am in Canada. Other functions seem fine:
temp, speed and miles to empty.

For a long time the number would fluctuate between 10 and 13 li/100km.

I thought it would come back to normal after a oil change and reset of the
green bars, and a few fueling. But no, it's still at 39.5.... clearly I am
still getting the same milleage...

Does anyone know how to fix/reset this ? or is it a dealer only procedure ?

Thanks.

---

Old December 20th 04, 02:45 PM
Gcracker///M5

.. . . The version in my E28 cars will average indefinitely until you hit the
reset button, and that means the numbers will eventually stop changing
except for very slightly over a long time. That's all the info I can lend,
but I imagine your manual should have info on this.

Old December 20th 04, 02:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
RideRT > wrote:
> On an X5, one can monitor the outside temp, miles to empty, avge speed
> and average fuel consumption.

> Well mine is stuck, and has been for 2-3 months, at the same average
> fuel comsumption, 39.5 li/100km - I am in Canada. Other functions seem
> fine: temp, speed and miles to empty.

> For a long time the number would fluctuate between 10 and 13 li/100km.

> I thought it would come back to normal after a oil change and reset of
> the green bars, and a few fueling. But no, it's still at 39.5....
> clearly I am still getting the same milleage...

If it's never been re-set, then obviously the average will be slow to
change as the miles mount up.

On my E39, you press a button to toggle through the various displays. If
you toggle to the one you want and hold it depressed, it resets to zero.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 20th 04, 07:49 PM
Anthony Peter

Surely 39.5ltr/100km must be way out? so must be something wromg with the
obc ?

Tony

Old December 20th 04, 08:32 PM
Jeff Strickland

There is a Reset button. Try pressing it.

There is a Consum 1 and Consum 2. You toggle between these by repeated
pressing of the Consum button. when one or the other is displayed, it can be
reset by pressing the reset button. Over time and distance, mostly distance,
the display will settle down and not move very often. I like to use Consum 1
for each tank of gas, and Consum 2 for longer term. For example, if I go on
a trip, I'll reset both at the start of the trip, then reset only Consum 1
with each tank of gas. This way, I can keep track of what happens on each
leg of my trip, and what has happened since the start.

Currently, Consum 2 in my car is displaying 24.5. This is a combination over
several months of both highway and city driving. When my highway driving is
the majority of a tank, the mileage is closer to 27.

320D fuel consumption - Help! news BMW 9 October 25th 04 12:44 AM
E39 fuel sender P-u-h-e-k BMW 2 October 11th 04 05:04 PM
Neuspeed chip!!!!!!!!! darren Audi 13 October 9th 04 10:57 AM
Need Help with 4000 fuel injection system Cappy Audi 2 July 1st 04 04:39 PM
fuel consumption of 3.2l GT? Thomas Hahn Alfa Romeo 7 June 12th 04 07:49 PM