twistec or OEM motor mounts?

Old June 26th 04, 02:28 AM
marx404

Default twistec or OEM motor mounts?

I need motor mounts for my 94 SL2 (dogbone mounts). I am comparing twistec
($80. a pair) to stock mounts. From what I have read, the twiscecs will not
dampen the engine vibration like the stock mounts will. On the other hand,
my mounts are already pretty worn and it doesnt vibrate al that bad, only
subtly in idle. Will the twistecs cause more vibration to be felt? I read
that they wil greatly improve handling and torque over the stock mounts.

Thanks
marx404

Old June 26th 04, 02:44 AM
Matt hotmail

I love my new motor mounts, they add a racy feel to the car, but they do
have increasing vibration from 1000 to 1400 rpms.
I bought mine from http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/store/asp/default.asp
$130/pair and I have purchased many other items from the same company. But
do not use these mount if you want a comfortable ride, THEY WILL VIBRATE.

I recommend the purchase of these only for the sports enthusiast.
Good Luck,
Matt

p.s. when putting them on, www.turbosaturn.net has some good advice.

Old June 26th 04, 07:40 PM
Jonnie Santos

I've got mine from Saturn Motorsports and they may be the Twistec product
(look just the same). I've got a little surface rust on them - I would have
had them plasma coated if I would have known (I thought they were s/s).

Smooth goes out the window, however my TAM is like new, and hard launches
are more crisp...

Old June 27th 04, 03:37 PM
marx404

Thanks. Looks like OEM mounts for me then. They are the same price for me.
While performance is great, vibration isn't an option I can live with,
especialy when I drive 60 + miles a day. Not to mention the wife drives the
car too ;-) err, gotta keep da peace especially after installing that
Dynomax muffler, lol.

marx404

Old June 28th 04, 11:35 AM
marx404

TAM? Whazzat? :-)

Old June 28th 04, 12:35 PM
Napalm Heart

"marx404" > wrote in message
> TAM? Whazzat? :-)

Torque Axis Mount (Top Motor Mount)

I've got the Twistec mounts on our SL2 (wife's daily driver) and she
hasn't complained about them as far as vibration.

Ken

Old June 28th 04, 12:48 PM
uknewwho

The Transmission Mount or Upper Torque Axis mount.
My guess, he means the tranny mount, because twistic (or anyone else)
doesn't make a poly-urethane upper torque axis mount.
If you want a stiffer mount, without spending allot of money, or really
feeling the vibs. Try filling the mounts with silicon. You get a little big
stiffer mounts, but not stiff that your soda will explode when you open it
after it sits in the cup holder for a while.
I'm not sure about this, maybe someone could help me with this, but using a
stiffer mount, could damage your frame and cross members the mounts are
mounted to. This is probably only under extreme conditions, and really hard
driving habits.

Old June 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Napalm Heart

I used windshield urethane on the TAM on my car. It's holding up
well.

Ken

Old June 29th 04, 04:48 AM
Jonnie Santos

Ken,

Twistec's

She either loves you, loves cars, or loves you and cars... (big grin)

Old June 29th 04, 12:49 PM
Napalm Heart

I think it's the first choice. Cars are pretty much just a mode of
transportation as far as she's concerned. She just goes along with
some of my indulgences.