Saturn - No different

Old June 1st 04, 05:55 PM
Arkal

Default Saturn - No different

I have had some bad experiences with a brand smacking new 2004 Saturn
ION 2 that I thought I should share with everyone. I thought I bought
an inexpensive car, but I think I have bought a CHEAP car. The dealer
is Budd's Saturn of Mississauga (Ontario). Don't even go there. They
are terrible.

1. Centre console is plastic from the dollar store.
2. Centre console vibrates. It is really annoying.
3. All four doors rattle.
4. Jerky transmission.
5. Front indicator bulbs and its units are defective and burn within
few days of purchase. Had both sides replaced.
6. Engine noise is deafening.
7. Front passenger side seat squeaks.

Want some more bad news? The dealer has not been successful in solving
any of the above issues excepting the bulbs.

Here are some of the answers I get when I talk to the service manager
about the above problems:

1. 90% of the car is plastic. There is nothing we can do.
2. The transmission will smoothen out after a few thousand KMs.
3. The bulb thing is a known problem
4. All noises are "innate" qualities of your car. So, live with it.
5. Engine noise is typical of a saturn. Nothing we can do

NOW IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU NOT TO BUY A SATURN? I SURE AS HECK THINK
SO!! DON'T YOU? DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, PAY THAT EXTRA BUCK AND GET
YOURSELF A JAPANESE CAR.
Old June 1st 04, 06:07 PM
C. E. White

I can understand that you don't like the car. However, this
begs the question, why did you buy the car in the first
place. I assume you test drove the car. If so, why didn't
you notice the cheap plastic trim, the vibrating console,
the noisy engine, and the jerky transmission? I'll did not
include the bulbs, squeaky seat, or door rattles - I assume
they developed after you pruchased the car.

I am all to familar with buyers remorse. I still think the
Mazda dealer drugged me and forged my name on the bill of
sale for a 626 I bought in the 80's.....However, I moved on
to bigger and better things (mostly non-imports).

If you don't like the car, sell it and move on. At least
some of your issues are not going away (engine noise and
cheap plastic parts), but I think they were there when you
bought the car and for whatever reason, you didn't object to
them - at least not at the time of purchase. If they were
such big issues, you should not have purchased the car.

Ed

Old June 1st 04, 06:25 PM
Bob Shuman

I think that most (many?) Saturn dealers provide a 30-day full exchange
policy. If this truly is "brand smacking new" then look into exchanging the
lemon for another vehicle. I assume that the one you got is defective since
you did not note these same "defects" with the same model you must have test
driven before you purchased.

Bob

om...

Old June 1st 04, 07:55 PM
Blah blah

In article >,
says...

> I have had some bad experiences with a brand smacking new 2004 Saturn
> ION 2 that I thought I should share with everyone.

That threw me, say spanking new, not smacking.

> I thought I bought
> an inexpensive car, but I think I have bought a CHEAP car. The dealer
> is Budd's Saturn of Mississauga (Ontario). Don't even go there. They
> are terrible.

Buddy you want to see cheap? Try a kia.

> 1. Centre console is plastic from the dollar store.

What? You didnt look at the dash before you bought it?

> 2. Centre console vibrates. It is really annoying.

Shim it then! Vibrations arent hard to fix.

> 3. All four doors rattle.

Have dealer fix. They wont? Always others.

> 4. Jerky transmission.

First I've ever heard anyone mention the transmission being jerky.

> 5. Front indicator bulbs and its units are defective and burn within
> few days of purchase. Had both sides replaced.

There is a fix for that.

> 6. Engine noise is deafening.

Hint hint, Its a 4 BANGER! Its the same amount of noise you would hear
from a Honda or Toyota! I've been in all 3!

> 7. Front passenger side seat squeaks.

Search google groups, there is a method to correct that. Just takes a
little time and a little skill.

> Want some more bad news? The dealer has not been successful in solving
> any of the above issues excepting the bulbs.
>
> Here are some of the answers I get when I talk to the service manager
> about the above problems:
>
> 1. 90% of the car is plastic. There is nothing we can do.

Well duh! you want them to fab up some sheet metal for you? Look on the
sticker where it says "composite body".

> 2. The transmission will smoothen out after a few thousand KMs.

It might if the computer learns your driving habits unless you are a
lead foot.

> 3. The bulb thing is a known problem

Yup then they should have resistors wired in.

> 4. All noises are "innate" qualities of your car. So, live with it.
>
> 5. Engine noise is typical of a saturn. Nothing we can do

Next time get a six cylinder if you dont like 4 bangers.

> NOW IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU NOT TO BUY A SATURN? I SURE AS HECK THINK
> SO!! DON'T YOU? DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, PAY THAT EXTRA BUCK AND GET
> YOURSELF A JAPANESE CAR.

And have the same issues plus more uppon those you listed. Nice of you
though to want everyone in north america to put themselves out of their
jobs. Like cutting our own throats. Very sensible.

Old June 2nd 04, 08:15 AM
Dan Duncan

Arkal > wrote:
> I have had some bad experiences with a brand smacking new 2004 Saturn
> ION 2 that I thought I should share with everyone. I thought I bought
> an inexpensive car, but I think I have bought a CHEAP car. The dealer
> is Budd's Saturn of Mississauga (Ontario). Don't even go there. They
> are terrible.

Back when Saturn really was a different kind of car company,
they had a 30 day return policy on a new car. If you're still
within that window, take it back for a full refund.

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. -Cecile Stewart
Old June 2nd 04, 11:55 AM
marx404

Back when Saturn really was a different kind of car company,
they had a 30 day return policy on a new car. If you're still
within that window, take it back for a full refund.

That is now a 30 day exchange program, why didnt yoiu bring it back to
exchange it for another ION?

the plastic dash - er-? and you thought it was.....? Did your salesman
tell you it was anything else? Saturns have always had a plastic dash.

Did you also recieve any type of Lemon Law book? Do they do that in Canada
like the US?

Try another dealership also, sounds like yours doesnt try hard enough. The
seat squeaks are fixable as are the doors, nonetheless, if you are still
within 30 days, exchange it, you may have to pay the difference for
excessive mileage.

I am confused. I have never heard an ecotec that was "deafening" unless you
either 1.) modified or damaged the intake or exhaust.
2.) are slamming the gas pedal to the floor when you drive.

If all is really such the case, you need to exchange your car within 30
days. Or go find another dealer. Sorry you had trouble, most IONS dont have
this trouble sans the occasional bulbs or squeaky seats.

marx404

Old June 4th 04, 07:04 PM
Chris

I went and looked at the 2004 Ion 3, I commented to the salesman that the
manual transmission feels as sloppy as my 94 SL1, he said it's a Getrag
therefore far superior.

Am I to believe that a decade later they can't fix the sloppy as hell
transmission? My Toyota pickup had a shorter throw!

Chris

om...

Old June 5th 04, 02:06 AM
Jonnie Santos

I think you hit on a couple of good points... I haven't driven a new manual
box Honda however I have driven an older one with the cable setup like the
Saturn and it's a lot nicer. Of course your Toyota is my fave setup with
rear wheel drive and a single rod coming out of the box into the cab (and NO
cables)...

"Chris" !!!spamsuresucks! !!***> wrote in
message news:XQ2wc.633280$Pk3.620149@pd7tw1no...

Old June 28th 04, 12:23 PM
misterfact

"C. E. White" > wrote in message >...
> I can understand that you don't like the car. However, this
> begs the question, why did you buy the car in the first
> place. I assume you test drove the car. If so, why didn't
> you notice the cheap plastic trim, the vibrating console,
> the noisy engine, and the jerky transmission? I'll did not
> include the bulbs, squeaky seat, or door rattles - I assume
> they developed after you pruchased the car.
>
> I am all to familar with buyers remorse. I still think the
> Mazda dealer drugged me and forged my name on the bill of
> sale for a 626 I bought in the 80's.....However, I moved on
> to bigger and better things (mostly non-imports).
>
> If you don't like the car, sell it and move on. At least
> some of your issues are not going away (engine noise and
> cheap plastic parts), but I think they were there when you
> bought the car and for whatever reason, you didn't object to
> them - at least not at the time of purchase. If they were
> such big issues, you should not have purchased the car.
>
> Ed
>
> Arkal wrote:
> >
> > I have had some bad experiences with a brand smacking new 2004 Saturn
> > ION 2 that I thought I should share with everyone. I thought I bought
> > an inexpensive car, but I think I have bought a CHEAP car. The dealer
> > is Budd's Saturn of Mississauga (Ontario). Don't even go there. They
> > are terrible.
> >
> > 1. Centre console is plastic from the dollar store.
> > 2. Centre console vibrates. It is really annoying.
> > 3. All four doors rattle.
> > 4. Jerky transmission.
> > 5. Front indicator bulbs and its units are defective and burn within
> > few days of purchase. Had both sides replaced.
> > 6. Engine noise is deafening.
> > 7. Front passenger side seat squeaks.
> >
> > Want some more bad news? The dealer has not been successful in solving
> > any of the above issues excepting the bulbs.
> >
> > Here are some of the answers I get when I talk to the service manager
> > about the above problems:
> >
> > 1. 90% of the car is plastic. There is nothing we can do.
> > 2. The transmission will smoothen out after a few thousand KMs.
> > 3. The bulb thing is a known problem
> > 4. All noises are "innate" qualities of your car. So, live with it.
> > 5. Engine noise is typical of a saturn. Nothing we can do
> >
> > NOW IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU NOT TO BUY A SATURN? I SURE AS HECK THINK
> > SO!! DON'T YOU? DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, PAY THAT EXTRA BUCK AND GET
> > YOURSELF A JAPANESE CAR.

Best thing to do is stand in front of the dealership with a big sign-
telling everyone about your piece of junk. Don't get mad- get even!