Hyundai Sonata reliability vs Honda

Old October 16th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ken[_16_]

Default Hyundai Sonata reliability vs Honda

I am considering buying a Hyundai Sonata or an accord 2007or 08. I
would love to hear from you guys who might have owned both cars and
provide me with a comparison on how a Hyundai performs after is has a
few years on it compared to an Accord.
I think both cars drive pretty good when new (IMHO), but I wondering
if the Hyundai will continue to drive as well when it's got a 50k+
miles on it.
I appreciate your un-baised feedback.

Thank you.

Ken

Old October 16th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Ken" > wrote in message oups.com...
>I am considering buying a Hyundai Sonata or an accord 2007or 08. I
> would love to hear from you guys who might have owned both cars and
> provide me with a comparison on how a Hyundai performs after is has a
> few years on it compared to an Accord.
> I think both cars drive pretty good when new (IMHO), but I wondering
> if the Hyundai will continue to drive as well when it's got a 50k+
> miles on it.
> I appreciate your un-baised feedback.

50k? You sir have lowered expectations... :-)
Honda or toyota continue to run great when they have 200k...
I have one toyota camry with 240k and it runs with no problems.
50k - yes, that is when you end the brake-in process ;-)
Old October 16th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Oct 16, 12:41 pm, Ken > wrote:
snip
> I think both cars drive pretty good when new (IMHO),

snip

I had a Sonata GLS as a rental for nearly a week about a month ago. I
thought the car was inferior to the Accord, especially the drive
train. The 4 cylinder engine was not nearly as smooth as the Accord
I4, this problem worsening with higher RPMs. The Sonata's auto trans
shifting was abrupt at times. The interior was OK, nothing more. Ditto
handling. Fuel economy was disappointing. IMHO, the Accord is FAR
superior to the GLS (which is the lowest end of the Sonata line).

Old October 16th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:00:26 -0500, Pszemol > wrote:

>"Ken" > wrote in message oups.com...
>>I am considering buying a Hyundai Sonata or an accord 2007or 08. I
>> would love to hear from you guys who might have owned both cars and
>> provide me with a comparison on how a Hyundai performs after is has a
>> few years on it compared to an Accord.
>> I think both cars drive pretty good when new (IMHO), but I wondering
>> if the Hyundai will continue to drive as well when it's got a 50k+
>> miles on it.
>> I appreciate your un-baised feedback.

>50k? You sir have lowered expectations... :-)
>Honda or toyota continue to run great when they have 200k...
>I have one toyota camry with 240k and it runs with no problems.
>50k - yes, that is when you end the brake-in process ;-)

hyundai's aren't in the same class as honda or toyota. H & T make
several models that can go 300K miles; most hyundai's can barely do 150K.
Old October 17th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:00:26 -0500, Pszemol > wrote:
>

>>"Ken" > wrote in message
groups.com...
>>>I am considering buying a Hyundai Sonata or an accord 2007or 08. I
>>> would love to hear from you guys who might have owned both cars and
>>> provide me with a comparison on how a Hyundai performs after is has a
>>> few years on it compared to an Accord.
>>> I think both cars drive pretty good when new (IMHO), but I wondering
>>> if the Hyundai will continue to drive as well when it's got a 50k+
>>> miles on it.
>>> I appreciate your un-baised feedback.

>>50k? You sir have lowered expectations... :-)
>>Honda or toyota continue to run great when they have 200k...
>>I have one toyota camry with 240k and it runs with no problems.
>>50k - yes, that is when you end the brake-in process ;-)

> hyundai's aren't in the same class as honda or toyota. H & T make
> several models that can go 300K miles; most hyundai's can barely do 150K.

But Hyundai's 10-year warranty is quite appealing.

Old October 17th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve[_40_]

In article >,
"Bob Jones" > wrote:

> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:00:26 -0500, Pszemol > wrote:
> >

> >>"Ken" > wrote in message
> groups.com...

> >>50k? You sir have lowered expectations... :-)
> >>Honda or toyota continue to run great when they have 200k...
> >>I have one toyota camry with 240k and it runs with no problems.
> >>50k - yes, that is when you end the brake-in process ;-)

> > hyundai's aren't in the same class as honda or toyota. H & T make
> > several models that can go 300K miles; most hyundai's can barely do 150K.

> But Hyundai's 10-year warranty is quite appealing.

Did you read what is actually covered for 10 years? Read the fine print?
What is so appealing about it?
Old October 17th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:17:59 -0500, Bob Jones > wrote:

>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:00:26 -0500, Pszemol > wrote:
>>

>>>"Ken" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>50k? You sir have lowered expectations... :-)
>>>Honda or toyota continue to run great when they have 200k...
>>>I have one toyota camry with 240k and it runs with no problems.
>>>50k - yes, that is when you end the brake-in process ;-)

>> hyundai's aren't in the same class as honda or toyota. H & T make
>> several models that can go 300K miles; most hyundai's can barely do 150K.

>But Hyundai's 10-year warranty is quite appealing.

Not in the least. What good is a warranty if 90% of what fails on your
car is somehow excluded or if your have had to bring in your car a dozen times?
Every time a section of a car is repaired, it becomes even less reliable.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen loose bolts and rattling dashboards
left in the wake of a hurried dealer repair job.

Old October 17th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Attwood

On Oct 16, 11:47 pm, AZ Nomad > wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:17:59 -0500, Bob Jones > wrote:

> egroups.com...

> >> hyundai's aren't in the same class as honda or toyota. H & T make
> >> several models that can go 300K miles; most hyundai's can barely do 150K.

> >But Hyundai's 10-year warranty is quite appealing.

> Not in the least. What good is a warranty if 90% of what fails on your
> car is somehow excluded or if your have had to bring in your car a dozen times?
> Every time a section of a car is repaired, it becomes even less reliable.
> I can't tell you how many times I've seen loose bolts and rattling dashboards
> left in the wake of a hurried dealer repair job.

And the warranty doesn't pay you back for the time and aggravation of
having to wait for a tow when you get out of work and the car won't
start.

Old October 19th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kenneth J. Harris

I recently rented a Hyundai Azera for a week(not my request but that's
what Hertz had then). What a nice car--beautiful interior, extremely
quiet inside, excellent power and good handling, reall a pleasure to
drive. I was surprised but I have to say that this car was equal or
superior to my Accord SEL V6. Of course, I have no way of knowing how
it will be in say 5 years.

Ken