AMC 20 Axle Break

Old December 10th 04, 04:20 PM
CJ5 on 35's

Default AMC 20 Axle Break

Where will the stock 2 piece axles break if they do? I really just want
to know if it will still be towable.
Kevin
CJ5 warn 8000i, full cage, 35x12.50, 2.5" lift, 1" body

Old December 10th 04, 07:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They don't break. The two piece axles are as strong as any Dana 44,
up until someone takes them apart to replace the seal instead of
removing the pressed on bearing. Because they are swedged together we
must replace the hub, too or it'l spin every time:
http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/compareAMCdana.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 10th 04, 08:33 PM
Rusted

Ditto - Mine did not "break" rather they just started to spin, and it sheard
that little keyway. I actually drove it for a few days before I realized
that it was slipping, it felt just like the clutch was going out. No wheel
falls off, you still have the front wheel drive option, and you are 100%
towable.
I now have the 1 piece axle kit installed.

Old December 10th 04, 10:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I will remind you AMC used then behind their muscle cars. They
never spin unless someone takes them apart. Chrysler even used their own
two piece axles behind their huge Hemis and 440" wedge engines.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 10th 04, 11:05 PM
Jeff Strickland

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT, Bill!

The AMC20's 2-piece axles will spin the hub off the end of the axle. The hub
is splined onto the axle, and the splines can strip, twist, or otherwise let
go of the hub. When this happens, the vehicle can not be flat towed. Hell,
you might even have trouble trailering it, because the tire will fall off.

Having said that, they are very stout, and as good as the D44. It's just
taht if they do break, they will strip the splines where the hubs are held
on. 35s could break them though.

Old December 10th 04, 11:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 10th 04, 11:28 PM
Jeff Strickland

"CJ5 on 35's" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Where will the stock 2 piece axles break if they do? I really just want
> to know if it will still be towable.
> Kevin
> CJ5 warn 8000i, full cage, 35x12.50, 2.5" lift, 1" body

I forget, but I think it depends.

The hub is held on be a large bolt, but the part that breaks does not
physically break off, it strips. So, the wheel should remain in place by the
bolt, it just will not be driven by the drive train because the axle splines
strip off. The splines strip because the axle twists, and this can allow the
bolt to snap off in some cases. As long as the bolt remains entact, the tire
should stay on. It would suck to have your tire go rolling by though.

Old December 10th 04, 11:44 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

But, if the mechanic takes the hub off, that is WRONG! But, then I
was guilty of it, once: http://www.billhughes.com/amc20hub.jpg You might
get away with it if you replace the hub with a new one.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 10th 04, 11:54 PM
Jeff Strickland

Old December 11th 04, 02:00 AM
Jerry Bransford

Bill, you need to get out from behind your keyboard and experience the
real world for a while. The 2-piece AMC 20 axleshafts break often
enough to have created an active secondary market for replacement
1-piece axleshafts. If there was no need, there would be no market for
the stronger 1-piece design. It's only once the 2-piece axleshaft is
replaced by the 1-piece design that it becomes about as strong as a Dana 44.

Of course I guarantee that as usual, you'll squeal like a stuck pig how
wonderful AMC is and that the 2-piece axle shaft IS NOT IS NOT IS NOT weak.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY